42 (𝘚𝘱𝘦𝘯𝘤𝘦𝘳'𝘴 𝘗𝘖𝘝)

The sharp sound of my phone's ringtone jolts me awake while it buzzes away in my pocket.

Groaning, I shift and pull out the phone, squinting as the morning sunlight seeps in through the drawn curtain.

With a grunt, I push myself off the desk's side and sit taller.

"Saff?" I answer hesitantly, sounding hoarse.

"Were you sleeping?" she asks with surprise.

I sigh and rub my brows. "Why did you call?"

"I- um... have you... Uh... heard about..." her voice trails down. A faint rustling noise remains as the only sound.

"About Gracie?" I finish her question.

She blows a relieved breath. "Yeah... you okay?"

I rake my fingers through my hair. "How did you find out?"

"So you're not going to answer my question, okay, noted. Dad called this morning, apparently when he went to the office and no one knew why she hadn't shown up, he got curious and called Aunt Kathy and she told him. Anyway, I think Dad, Kris, and Amanda are already there. I'm going for Aunt Kathy though, and I thought it would be nice if Julia joins me, I thought this might be a good way of returning to Dad and Amanda's good graces... you don't have to come though if you don't want to."

With effort I push myself to my feet, my body stiff and aching as a headache picks apart my brain. I plop down on the chair and plant my elbows on the desk.

The shuffling noise from her end continues as I rest my head on my hand. "Where are you?"

She huffs. "Seriously? You think you can distract me with your questions? Unbelievable. Anyway, I got back from Paris last night, the galleries were a success, but man do I regret missing Julia and Gracie's fight. Everyone's been talking about it even in Paris." She laughs at herself and I roll my eyes.

"Anyway, Spencer, you didn't answer me, want me to come and pick up Julia on my way to the hospital?"

I clear my throat and lean back to my seat. "There's no need for that."

"Are you sure? I mean-"

"I said no," I snap.

"Okay, sheesh, chill." She sighs and a faint sound of a door shutting follows. "You don't have to act all tough and unbothered, you know? I get it... with your past, it must be really... difficult. But if you're worried about her, which is totally normal, I'm sure Aunt Kathy won't mind if you show up too."

I ignore her comment and close my eyes, inhaling deeply. "Is she okay?" I ask quietly.

The whooshing sound of her sharp inhale sends a jolt of panic down my spine. "Truthfully... Dad said she's in ICU... and things are not looking good. Why don't you come by yourself? I know you and Kathryn had a fight or something, was it that bad? I'm sure she'll let you visit Gracie."

I pull the collar of my shirt, even though I know it has nothing to do with my sudden sense of suffocation. Raw fear scraps my veins. What if she doesn't make out of it?

What if- no no no. She has to stay alive.

"What did you do, anyway? Aunt Kathy never gets mad at either of us."

I grip the phone, shifting on my chair, trying desperately to keep my breathing even.

Things are not looking good, but how bad are they?

"Spencer? You there?"

"Y-yeah."

"How did you find out about Gracie's accident if you were sleeping until I called you?"