18

For the past week, I've been mainly busy with my business associates. Attending countless meetings to discuss how my engagement with the multibillionaire Wright family's son will affect our deals and the future my company holds.

Hence, I've been able to avoid Spencer to some great extent.

I have nothing to fear from him, but seeing him daily, being so close to him yet so far, is not as comfortable as I thought it'll be.

I suppose it's true when psychologists say once you fall in love with someone, you'll always love them, no matter what. Even if one day you find someone else for yourself, you'll still keep on loving the previous person. The only difference is, you learn to love the new person in a new way, giving a separate piece of your heart to them.

Hesitantly, I open the door to the office room and peer inside. Spencer is nowhere in sight. Sighing in relief, I step inside and shut the door behind me. My needle heels make sharp clicking sounds and my feet hurt like hell.

I sink into my chair, letting out a deep groan. The last meeting was excruciating. Thank goodness I had Mason with me to handle half of it, taking off the pressure.

Three sharp knocks straighten me in my spot and I purse my lips, stopping myself from rolling my eyes.

Ever since Erika found Spencer and me in a not-so-acceptable situation, she's been behaving weirdly. With a huff, I call out, "Come in." 

Gingerly, she opens the door and peeks inside. Spotting me behind the desk, a relieved smile tugs at the corner of her lips.

"Ma'am," she starts as she enters the room. "Mr. Wright wants to see you."

I scowl at her. "There are three mister Wrights in this goddamn building," I snap and pinch the bridge of my nose. "You have to be more specific than that," I grumble.

"Yes, I'm sorry. Mr. Wright, the chairman."

William.

Internally groaning, I lean into my seat. "When?"

"Right now."

I curse under my breath and push myself to my feet. "Did he say what's the meeting about?" I ask as I round the desk, barely keeping myself upright.

"No, ma'am."

I push my hair behind my shoulders and tilt my head back, glancing at the dark ceiling with hidden lights dotted around it, asking for strength and patience from the heavens.

Thank God it's Friday. At least I'll two days to myself, and don't need to put up with these people.

Maybe a shopping spree to Milan and then Paris will fix my mood and uplift my spirits. All this stress is driving me insane.

For the time being, maybe I can make do with a spa day, perhaps on Saturday.

I trot down the hall and head straight to the elevator, ascending a floor and making my way to William's room.

I nod to myself. Yes, a spa appointment for tomorrow, until I empty my schedule for a week and fly over to Milan, then go to Paris... from there, maybe I can even head to London. An entire week to myself.

That'd be incredible.

The longer I think about it, the more I realize how badly I need a vacation, even if it's just for taking my mind off of my problems.

I shake my head and halt in front of William's room. I knock on the door and his voice from the other side calls me in.

Pulling over a mask of indifference, I open the door and enter. I barely stop my eyes from widening as I survey the room.