16

I glance over my shoulder to check the workers bringing in my things and placing them inside the room.

Shoving my hands into my loose white trousers' pockets, I survey the room for the hundredth time.

Knowing it's Spencer's room is not helping with the first day's nerves, and it makes no sense, as if I already don't have enough things on my mind, worrying me. I just need to get through this day without seeing him, and ensure my subconscious he's not going to suddenly show up.

Sure, Spencer quit his job at the university and now works in research centers and other prestigious places. Literally anywhere that needs advanced knowledge of mathematics, but he certainly doesn't have enough time to show up here just to annoy me.

I point to the corner of the room as one man carries a giant box and carefully places it there.

Mom and Mason were not happy about this transition at all, but the contract has tied our hands. I have to follow through.

I sigh and turn around, ignoring my pounding heart.

It's obvious it's Spencer's room, or at least it has been designed to his taste. The similarity to his study back at his apartment is evident. The tiles were spotless black marble before being tainted with these movers' dirty shoes. The walls are granite colored and Spencer's desk, now moved to the other side of the room, is black.

My desk is placed across from his, on the other end of the office and a few feet away from it, the wall has a ceiling-to-floor wide window overlooking the beautiful skyline. Across from each of our desks, two armchairs have been placed along with a small coffee table in between.

The room is huge, bigger than the one I had in my own company. All I have to hope for now is to not see Spencer at all, and see the others as little as possible.

I gaze out of the window for another long moment until Erika's clicking heels approach me.

"Did they bring everything?" I ask as I turn around.

Erika stops, her cheeks are colored with a deep blush, and her raven black hair is tied in a tight bun with a few stray strands that have escaped from it. she inhales deeply as though trying to catch her breath sooner.

I still don't know why this girl is always running.

"Yes, ma'am, that box was the last of it," she squeaks.

I flip my curled hair over my shoulder and walk over to my desk. "You canceled all the meetings, right?"

"Yes, ma'am."

I drum my nails on the wooden surface of the desk, enjoying my recently manicured nails' sound against the wood. "So, where are the people who were supposed to come and set my room?"

She fumbles and tucks a strand of her dark hair behind her ear. "Uh, ma'am, they're coming. Unfortunately, they were stuck in traffic."

My brows draw together and I press my mouth into a thin line. "You know I hate working with people who have no sense of time," I grumble.

"Sorry."

I roll my eyes but don't get to say anything as Kristian peers inside the room, his head popping in from the doorway. Quickly scanning the room his eyes fall on me and a smile spreads across his face.

"Babe!" He throws his arms open and enters the office.

I grit my teeth and purse my lips as I glare at him while crossing my arms in front of my chest.

"How's moving in been like?" he asks as he moves to pull me into a hug but I jump back a step. His smile falters but he quickly recovers and thanks to Erika's presence he lets it slide.