52

Long moments pass, my gaze keeps darting between the entrance door, where the car stands ready to take me away, and the clock hanging on the wall.

With each passing second, my heart beats harder.

I was convinced my life without money would suck, so much so I risked my first love for it, and lost the man I loved.

Now, I'm getting one last chance...

Being rich is nice... but being with Spencer is better. Way better.

Sure, I'll be risking a hell ton of money, but it's not like I'll become homeless or anything.

Spencer's voice echoes in my head. The way he was looking at me when he pleaded with me to choose him.

We've hurt each other a lot, but we're both irreplicable for each other. No force can stop Spencer and me.

We'll fight all the complications together, find the solution to our problems, and become the remedy to each other's hurt and pain until nothing but serene days and a promise of a happy life remain.

I toss my bouquet to the nearest bench. A knowing smile arches Mom's lips as I throw my arms around her in a quick hug before gathering up the skirt of the wedding dress and running out of the hotel.

The loud clinking of my heels against the mosaic floor draws the staff's attention but no one says anything to me.

Worry pumps adrenaline into my system. What if he has boarded the flight and left already?

What if I'm late?

I shake my head as I hurry down the steps. Instead of going to the Rolls Royce, I hurry to the red vintage Ferrari and motion to the driver to get into that as I climb that car and with a ridiculous amount of effort fit the skirt of the dress inside the vehicle.

"Airport, now," I tell the driver the second he shuts his door. "Drive fast," I add once the engine revs to life.

He nods and the car sets into motion. My fingers fidget uncontrollably as I anxiously glance at the passing scenery. The sun is setting, throwing beautiful pink and orange hues on the sky.

My palms are clammy and every few seconds I tell the driver to go faster and the poor soul nods, without any complaints and pushes the pedal further down.

Once we round the cliff, zooming down the highway with the hills on one side and the ocean on the other, I roll down the window. Inhaling deeply I welcome the salty scent of the sea mixed with the earthy scent of the hills.

The air blows at my face, probably ruining my hair, but I can't bring myself to care as a smile spreads across my face. I glance down at my ring finger.

With fingers trembling from excitement, I slide out the diamond ring, hold it up in front of my face for a beat before tossing it out.

My grin widens, making my cheeks hurt as a sudden relief washes over me like a weight has been lifted off my chest.

The international airport is over an hour away, but from my pushing and constant poking, the boards with the airport's signs start appearing in about thirty minutes through the drive.

The sun is almost down, with its last rays taking away the day with itself.

My heart drums in my chest, I rub my palms over the skirt of the dress. My fingers are too fidgety to take off the veil. Not that it matters.

Though as we round into the airport's grounds, the traffic jam is worse than the Monday morning traffic in New York.

Huffing, I throw open the door. "Don't wait, drive back to the hotel, and don't tell anyone where you dropped me off," I tell the driver.