35

A week goes by in a frenzy. Everything is still a mess. My life is literally falling apart, and now I have to spend five days on a fucking yacht.

Exactly what I needed.

I tried to convince Amanda to cut some slack and let me skip this shitshow, but arguing with a wall might have been more fruitful.

She was set on this plan, with no way of swaying her.

I cross my arms and watch the calm water as a man carries my suitcases inside the gigantic white luxury yacht. The sky is a clear, brilliant blue, with the sun shining in the middle of it. Everything is so bright, if I wasn't wearing my sunglasses, it would've hurt my eyes.

My flight from New York to here, LA, was alright. I tried to get done as much as I could, because I know I won't be able to do much the second I set foot inside this mega yacht.

My heart skips a beat just by thinking I'm going to meet Spencer again. We didn't see each other after my extremely pathetic mental breakdown.

But Julia will be with him too. I bitterly remind myself.

After that God-awful Tuesday, I spent the following days in my own office, at MK enterprise, with Mom and Mason, trying to defuse the ticking bomb. So far, our attempts have been short-term solutions, like talking those buyers out of accepting the deal with Nathan.

I rub my brow; the lingering headache threatens to grow stronger.

The guests are already inside, Mom and Mason climbed onto the yacht too. I close my eyes and inhale deeply, letting the fresh salty scent of the sea into my lungs.

I savor these last moments of peace, hoping Sophia will be able to handle the company and our shares during these five days.

The irony! The life I worked my ass off to build is close to breaking apart, and I'm going on a vacation. As if I'm celebrating my destruction.

I roll my eyes and huff, pushing my shoulders back and standing taller. With one final sharp breath, I collect my courage and stride towards the small portable bridge.

My phone starts ringing, pausing me.

I fish out my cell phone from my purse, my brows knit together as I read Sophia on the screen.

"Hey, what's up?" I nibble my bottom lip anxiously.

"I hope it's not a bad time, but I've got two news for you."

My eyebrows jump with surprise. "Good or bad?"

"Um..." her voice trails down and my palms get clammy from my growing stress. "Both, I guess," she answers after a beat.

"Start with the good one," I tell her, pinching the bridge of my nose.

She laughs. "Sure. About the accident, I've pinned down the driver. The guy we spoke with back at Vegas has started talking more the second I told him I'll pay him. Apparently, they had given the driver a picture of your parents' car to run over. Benjamin's men even gave your parents' pictures to ensure they are in the car before crashing their vehicle. On top of that, I used a few connections of mine and found out, all the security cameras, both in San Francisco and Vegas have been wiped out on some specific dates, and times. Exactly around the time, his men visited these guys and the accident. I also found the hotels those two men stayed at, and their plane tickets. Everything is lining up. I just need to gather a few more pieces of information and then we can reopen the case. I don't want Benjamin to get the chance to destroy anything after we've submitted a request at the court. We have to move quickly though; I don't trust this guy from Vegas."