28

Even to my own ears, I sound ridiculously pathetic as I stand in front of him, feeling like an idiot. I hate myself for letting him get to me like that. I hate him for making me vulnerable.

But I watch him as my heart hammers in my chest. Suddenly, I realize I don't want to hear his answer. What if he says he does?

I gulp noisily but don't back down, pressing my lips to a thin line to hide the slight quiver.

Spencer appears taken aback, his eyes wider than usual, as his eyebrows remain raised. He stares at me with surprise but doesn't answer.

An eternity goes by for me, yet he doesn't even move a muscle.

My throat squeezes painfully as a fist tightens around my heart.

He's not denying it.

He loves her.

Why wouldn't he? Compared to me, she's fucking perfect.

What did I even expect? When he dumped and immediately fucked someone else, why wouldn't he be serious with her? Did I really foolishly think he's still hung up on me just because of a dumb kiss? And why would he even propose to a woman he doesn't love?

All these facts race around my head and with each passing second my naivety stands out brighter and sharper to me. I let my emotions get in the way, preventing me from seeing clearly.

My body shakes from anger and anguish, my fingers curl into fists, my nails dig into my palms as my lips pull back in a snarl. "Fuck you," I spit. "And your stupid relationship, with that stupid bitch." My voice wavers from rage as its pitch climbs higher.

His mouth hangs open, as though struggling to comprehend what's going on.

"What are you waiting for?" I shout, throwing my hands up before pointing at the door. "Leave! Run back to your stupid perfect life, and live on your boring, pathetic life." I spin and march away, not waiting for his reaction.

"What?" His confused voice comes from behind me but I don't stop and head straight to my bedroom.

"Gracie," he calls with exasperation, and I hear his hurried footsteps following me.

I pick up my pace and slam the door but he catches it mid-way.

"Stay away from me!" I shriek trying to close the door, but he doesn't let me. "I will ruin your life. I will destroy you and your perfect Julia, I swear I'll become your worst nightmare," I scream as he pushes the door open and walks into my room.

Screeching, "I hate you!" I charge towards him to shove him out of my room but he grabs my wrists in a firm grip, not loosening his hold no matter how hard I struggle and curse him.

"Gracie, stop!"

"I will show what mistake really means," I fire back, trying to free myself from him, but it's futile and he only pulls me closer. "I will destroy you. I fucking hate you!"

"Stop," he warns in a low voice, but I keep on struggling against him. He twists my hand behind my back, while holding my other hand to his chest, pressing me to himself.

I crane my neck to glare at him. "I hate you. You won't get away with this. You can't do this to me." My voice breaks and I stop wiggling to look anywhere but him and blink away the forming tears.

I feel his eyes burning holes into me as he intently watches me.

With a sharp inhale, I meet his gaze. "You can't sleep with me one day, kiss me the next and sleep with another woman the next day. I won't let you. I will destroy you and ruin every good thing in your miserable life."