17

My eyes widen and I barely hold back a gasp. "You fucking-" I start, but he cuts me off.

His smile falls away, turning into a hard line as he leans down to me. "I told you, I won't be letting you marry Kris."

"How sick do you have to be, to take your dad's spot just to be able to kick me out?"

He steps to me. "I'm determined to keep you as far away from me, and my family, as possible."

We glare at each other and his face comes closer to me. I struggle to keep my breathing even as he stays at my eye level, but breathing in his familiar, tantalizing cologne scent is increasingly challenging me.

"Stay out of my way, Spencer," I warn him in a low voice, barely fighting off the daze gripping my mind.

"I have no reason to be afraid of you. It's pointless to throw warnings at me. In fact, you should be worried and threatened by me." He plants his hand on the top of the chair's backrest placed behind me.

I glare at him with all my might as I hold my ground.

"I can ruin you in a heartbeat," he whispers in a deep voice. "How the tables have turned, Gracie."

Goosebumps break over my arms and my breath hitches as butterflies flutter in my stomach.

Even though he's threatening me, my stupid body is growing hot... or maybe it's the room. I hope it's the goddamn room.

I gulp and wet my parched lips, never breaking our eye contact. "You-" I begin but he interrupts me.

"No, you listen. Leave, call off this wedding and live on your life, as far away from me as possible. The further, the better. Or if you decide to stay and cross your line, I'll tell William how half of your company can legally be mine." He raises a deliberate brow as if to emphasize his point.

"And I told you, stay the hell away from me and my plans, or else I'll ruin your reputation and your life." My voice comes out low and slightly rough but I ignore it, holding my chin up.

"You wouldn't dare."

"I can assure you, you don't wanna try me." I summon my courage and dare to go nearer to him, leaving almost no space between us. "You know me well enough to be sure if I go down, I never go alone."

"Fine," he gruffly says, leaning even closer to me. "The second you try to move against my family's business, you're done. A hint of you attempting to double-cross us and it'll turn into your biggest mistake."

"You're being an annoying thorn at my side. You know what I do with troublesome thorns?" I inch closer to him, tilting my head further back as he stares down at me. "I pluck them out and flick them aside. You don't wanna be that thorn, Spencer. And I don't understand, when your own father has no problem becoming my shield in front of Benjamin Stewart, what's your problem?"

He scowls at me. "So, you are going to use Judy Corp as your shield, let William take the blow for you, even if it might make him go bankrupt."

I shrug. "His choice, with no blackmailing or anything." I lay my palm on his chest, ignoring the sudden jolt of tingling sensations electrifying my palm, sending tendrils of longing to my heart.

He freezes for a beat as his muscles tense under my touch.

Tilting my head to the side, I add, "If you get in my way, I will ensure Benjamin takes down William before hitting the bottom. No one will even know it was me, so Spencer Wright, it's in your, and your family's, best interest if you don't stick your nose into my business. This is your last warning."