24

During lunch, Sophia explains a more detailed plan and leaves early to put it in motion and start digging up information from five years ago.

Not one minute after her departure, a tense, slightly awkward silence falls over the booth Spencer and I are seated, across from each other.

He's still avoiding me, keeping his gaze trained at anywhere and anything but me.

Once I note Sophia's car speeding down the lane, getting farther away from us, I decide to put an end to this childish behavior.

"You know, ignoring me won't change the fact that you slept with me." I cross my arms in front of my chest and lean into my seat.

Spencer clenches his jaw and his dark blue eyes snap to me, his mouth pursing with anger.

I lift my shoulders. "Oh, come on, men cheat all the time." I bite the inside of my cheek to stop myself from laughing.

If there was a list, stating the things you should not say after the night we had, I bet what I said would be on the top three of that list.

"You made me a cheater," he growls.

I click my tongue and shake my head as though scolding a kid. "Now that's wrong. Don't blame it on me. Just because you're hopelessly attracted to me and couldn't control yourself, it does not mean it's my fault. Man up, and accept you cheated."

He glares at me for a beat before standing up and stalking off. I huff and roll my eyes, hurrying after him out of the diner and out in the open.

"What do you want from me? Why do you enjoy torturing me?" he shouts the second I reach the car. He watches me with wide eyes as I school my expression, to hide my surprise.

With deliberate steps, I approach him and stop a pace away from him. "Do you think I'm torturing you?" I ask softly, tilting my head slightly and locking my eyes with his.

Sure, I might want to make his life a living hell since he's being problematic for me... but like... a good hell, not a torturous hell.

He gives me an incredulous look and I inch closer to him.

"Are you being tortured?" I drop my voice to a whisper.

His gaze darkens as his body barely leans towards me.

The sky is a brilliant bright blue, with no clouds to obscure the summer sun's onslaught. But I'm too lost in Spencer's dark blue eyes to care about the harsh sunlight beating down on us as a warm, gentle breeze caresses past us.

"Why are you doing this?" His deep low voice sends pleasurable ripples of tingling sensations across my skin.

I note the shape of his eyes behind his rectangular glasses, and how they're searching mine, the ghost of a five o'clock shadow and his full lips.

Spencer Wright. The first, and probably the last man, that possesses the power to tangle me up in my own games. Regardless of being the one in control, I always end up losing... to him. No matter how hard I try.

Every win has a bigger loss when he is in the picture. And I can't do anything about it.

Gingerly, I place my hand on his chest and move closer to him, craning my neck to hold his smoldering gaze. "I didn't plan last night... all I wanted was to get a reaction out of you."

His brows furrow and I decide to add, "You know I love getting reactions out of people... but for you, I can't do it under normal circumstances, so I had to get you drunk."

"What sort of reaction?" he gruffly asks.

I lift a shoulder in a shrug, and look away. Spencer grabs my chin and forces me look up at him. The contact sends an electrifying jolt throughout my body. He quirks an eyebrow, beckoning me to answer him.