11

The news of my partnership with Judy Corp traveled around and was confirmed before the party even started. Once the guests had arrived, William didn't need to announce this news. Everyone already knew, hence they all proceeded to congratulate us.

For the past hour, I've been standing on one side of the hall, with a glass of champagne in my hand, not given one second of privacy. Or a moment to breathe as investor after investor, businessman after businessman, amble to me, repeating the same old thing, over and over.

Though I can't really complain since Mom and Mason on the other side of the room have been suffering through the same thing. But whenever I glance at them, they seem to be handling this situation way better than me.

I shift my weight from one foot to another. One would imagine after wearing heels and stilettos with needle heels for almost a decade you'd get used to it, but no. They hurt like hell.

I draw a small sip from my drink, plastering a smile and pretending to be interested as the old and grey man keeps on boasting about himself, his business tactics, and how successful he is. Occasionally making jokes that are only funny to him, but for money's sake, I have to fake a laugh too.

I can't wait for this night to be over.

My gaze sweeps across the place once more. Kristian is busy flirting with a bunch of girls. From how they lean to him, giggle and cover their mouths and snatch every opportunity for touching him, it's clear, he's having a way better time than me.

At last, the man decides to leave and once he's out of earshot, I release a heavy sigh. I run my hand over my emerald dress, half tempted to sneak out. Now I understand why Mom and Dad dreaded these sorts of parties back then. I used to hang out with my friends, having the time of my life while they attended the guests.

Sipping from my drink, my gaze wanders around the place, landing on the person I least expected to see. Alex.

Sensing my focus on himself he faces me, holding my gaze for a brief moment before making his way to me.

Near enough to hear my voice over the soft live music being played in the far end of the hall, I say, "Didn't expect to see you here."

Alex ignores my comment and stops in front of me. "You look nice as ever."

I roll my eyes, scanning him from head to toe before shaking my head. "And you are a remarkably ugly sight I did not expect would be present to ruin such an important party."

He snorts and sips his drink. His hair is disheveled and the white shirt is not tucked under his pants. His beard is unkempt and I can't stop myself from saying out loud.

"Buddy, divorce process does not suit you."

"You made a terrible mistake refusing Ben's offer," Alex replies instead.

My brows furrow and I squint at him. "So you're back to being his lapdog again?"

"No, but you don't know what you're getting yourself into."

"I know you enough to be sure you're not worried about me, so where is this shit ton of fake concern coming from?" I drop my voice's volume to ensure no one can hear us as I arch an eyebrow at him.

He sighs and runs his palm over his face, his shoulders hunching slightly. "I'm trying to be good, okay?"

I snort and have to bite my bottom lip to stop myself from guffawing.

He throws me a dirty look. "You don't understand, the shitstorm you're about to start is going to affect everyone in this room. If either you or Ben loses, do you know how many people will lose their jobs? How many will go bankrupt?"