50

A distant knocking sound pulls me out of my sleep. The sound is sharp and continuous enough it pushes aside the clouds of sleep.

Groggily, I crack open an eyelid. Last night's memories dance before my vision, and my back is pressed against Spencer's chest. Neither helping with finding the will to climb out of the bed and get the goddamn door.

I'm half tempted to yell profanities at whoever the fuck that's on the other side.

Suddenly it hits me. Today is the day and I jolt upright, making Spencer groan and rub his face.

"I don't think anyone would approve of seeing you in my room right now," I whisper shout as he blinks the sleep away from his eyes.

I climb out of the bed, putting on the nearest clothes before tying the robe around myself as I hurry to the door, hoping it's not Amanda... or my mom.

Running a hand over my wild bed hair in a vain attempt at smoothening it, I stop in front of the door. I inhale sharply and open it.

Mason's annoyed face freezes me. "Where the hell where were you? I've been knocking since forever," he grumbles.

I roll my eyes and plant my palm on my hip. "I was sleeping. What do you want?" I demand, drumming my fingers on the doorknob.

He tries to walk into the room, but I stand in his way and cross my arms before leaning to the doorframe.

Mason squints at me. "Someone's in the room?"

I scoff, "No, not that it's any of your business."

He eyes me suspiciously. "You're lying... is that bastard inside?" His eyes widen, nostrils flaring, and he attempts to charge into the room, but I press my palm flat against his chest, stopping him. "What do you want Mason?"

He glowers at me, waving his index finger at me. "If-"

"Mason, seriously," I cut him off harshly. For a beat, we glare at each other before he sighs and runs his hand through his hair.

"I don't understand why you let him hurt you." He crosses his arms in front of his chest.

I purse my lips and raise an eyebrow.

He rolls his eyes and his tense posture slowly loosens up as he shoves his hands into his pockets. "Good news, the loan from the bank has been transferred to my account."

An instant smile spreads across my face before I narrow my eyes. "Good news?" I echo. "Is there supposed to be bad news too?"

He grimly nods. "Benjamin didn't go to the station to sign the usual papers he has to, and neither did he today."

I gape at him, not able to bring myself to perceive the meaning of his words.

"He's not in his house or any of the houses he has," he goes on.

I shake my head. "No," I weakly whisper.

"Yeah, he has disappeared. Benjamin is officially on the run."

I gasp and press my palm to my lips.

"Mom was suggesting to accept the protection the cops are offering because he has nothing to lose at this point and it makes him even more dangerous."

"Shit."

"Yeah," He solemnly agrees. Mason expels a sharp blow of air before sternly looking at me. "Get that bastard out of your room before anyone sees you with him, and I swear to God if he one more time shows up anywhere near you-"

"Fine!" I sharply interrupt him. "Go now." I don't wait for his answer and close the door, rubbing my face and plodding back to the bed and plopping down on it.