2

I raise to my feet and saunter out of my room, but as I step outside, my eyes widen and I whisper shout, "Erika!" And I hurry after her.

Erika halts and turns to me, her raven black hair bouncing and swaying with her abrupt movements.

I catch up to her as fast as I can with my needle heels. "Has my mom arrived?"

She nods. "Yes, ma'am, I was in fact just about to go, and inform her about the meeting with Mr. Wright."

"No," I snap and stride past her, walking straight to her desk. "Show me this week's meetings she has to attend."

Perplexed, she tilts her head to one side before nodding again and returning to her desk. She opens a tab with Mom's schedule and I scan through it until I find what I'm looking for.

I point at one of the icons from the long list of meetings scheduled for Friday. "This, tell her it's an emergency meeting with the employees at our other branch, and she has to go there immediately... make it sound really urgent and that you forgot to tell her about..."

"But Ma'am-" she starts and I shoot her a glare.

"No buts, do as I tell you, don't worry about the rest... make up an excuse." I wave my hand around dismissively.

She watches me with worried eyes and pinched eyebrows. "But ma'am it's checking the procedure of the products and it might not be ready."

I straighten myself and brush off imaginary pieces of dust from my shirt. "Tell them to hurry, because the COO is coming to visit." With my head held high, I stride past her desk and add, "I do not want my mother in this meeting with William. If she somehow manages to be present, it'll be your fault and I'll fire you."

I don't spare a glance behind my shoulder to see her gaping face. This needs to be done if I want to be able to make things work with the William.

As I step into the elevator and gaze at the doors of multiple rooms visible as I descend, a dreadful feeling creeps within me, gripping my stomach and making my palms clammy.

If I want to work out any deal with the William, Mom cannot be present. We all know he's a vicious businessman, a business tycoon by all means, but he's Mom's childhood friend. She knows him better, hence, she'll try to prevent any contract being signed, or at least ones that don't benefit us one hundred percent.

But I know better than to expect such a deal from William Wright.

I intend to accept whatever deal he throws at us as long as it carries out the aspect of us joining our power and money to bring down Benjamin Stewart.

I swallow my guilt, and push a lock of my curled light brown hair behind my shoulder as the elevator door slides open and I step out.

The conference room's doors are closed, I wring my fingers, gathering my confidence. After I shouted at William about five years ago at Dad's funeral, we never spoke again. Even though there were multiple parties and meetings that both of us were present, I never approached him and neither did he.

Just as I reach the conference room, Mason strolls down the other hallway, a small smile on his face as he nods at employees along the way. His strides ooze with confidence, the buttons of his grey suit are undone, but at least his hair is neatly combed back and his light blue tie, the same color of his eyes and our father's, is properly placed.

Even after three years of seeing him back on his feet, walking and doing all the things he could do, just like before the accident five years ago that took away his mobility, it brims me with happiness.