56

Twenty minutes after Spencer leaves and Mason heads out to meet his friends, Savannah, Mom, and I are left alone in the living room.

My aunt Nicole calls for the hundredth time. The woman is relentless when it comes to gossiping, and fishing out new elements for juicier pieces of news.

Heaving a sigh, Mom gives up and receives the call, leaving Savannah and me alone in the living room.

"I'm glad you two worked things out together and got back," she says, a smile tugging the corners of her mouth upward.

"So you don't hate me anymore?" I arch an eyebrow as I lean into my seat.

"I never did, I was just mad at you for hurting my brother. If he can forgive you, who am I to hold a grudge."

I look down at the floor, a wide grin spilling over my face as I nod.

"In fact, I should be thanking you, I've never seen Spencer so... happy and at ease," she softly says and my gaze snaps back to her.

Her brilliant blue eyes hold mine briefly. "I'm happy you didn't go along with the contract, I know it might not sound right... but it really would've hurt Spencer and I just didn't want to see my brother hurting anymore."

I bite my bottom lip and nod. "We've been through a lot, I guess all I want now is for us to have a peaceful, happy life."

She grins. "Any plans for the future, should I be preparing myself for another round of wedding planning?"

"Oh my God, no!" I exclaim, throwing my head back, making her giggle. "I've had enough wedding drama to last me an entire year. For now, we just want to..." my voice trails down as I try to find the right words.

"Enjoy each other's company with no problems?" she offers.

Beaming, I nod. "Exactly."

She tucks a strand of her curled hair behind her ear and her fingers fidget. "I was hoping if we could... if you could forgive me for my awful behavior towards you in the past. I really don't want things between us to be tense and for you to not want me around... I mean Spencer is-"

"I know Savannah! And I would never do that to either of you." I grab her hand and squeeze it reassuringly. "But I would love to have you more than just Spencer's sister, and as my friend." I smile at her.

"That'd be great," she says, mirroring my smile.

Before either of us gets the chance to say anything, one of the maids walks in, holding an envelope in her hand, and halts in front of me.

Savannah and I exchange a confused glance as the maid says, "Ma'am someone left this on the backdoor porch, for you." She holds out the crumpled piece of yellowed envelope.

"For me?" I ask with surprise.

"Does anyone know you're here?" Savannah turns to me, alarmed.

"No," I mumble as I get the envelope. In messy handwriting, my name is sprawled on it, and from the way the lines are uneven, whoever wrote this definitely didn't have a smooth surface in reach.

"Thanks," I dismiss the maid. She nods and walks away.

I glance at Savannah before hesitantly opening the letter.

"Maybe we should tell the officers," she softly suggests.

I unfold the paper inside and gasp.

'We both know what we want. Let's settle everything down quietly. Meet me tomorrow at ten at the address down below, if you don't want anyone else to join your father. If I find out you've told the cops or anyone else, you won't like the consequences.'