34

Yesterday was perhaps one of the shittiest Mondays of my life. Mason, Mom, and I managed to quiet down the major shareholders and our investors for the time being.

Although, we know it's a very fragile peace, and this problem needs to be sorted out before it ruins our five years of hard work.

I cannot go bankrupt again. I refuse to live another day as a penniless girl. No, it's not happening.

Unfortunately, Nathan the asshat has gone dormant. Though I can't say I'm surprised. With the stunt this asshole has pulled off, he definitely knew I'd blow up.

However, I need to be smart. Either I have to convince him to give up on this madness of selling the shares way under-priced, or to Benjamin. Or I have to persuade it to hand over the shares to me.

The only complication is, I have no clue how I can do either of these things.

My leg bounces, I keep on repeatedly tapping the top of my pen to the desk as I stare at Spencer's empty desk, right across from me, on the other side of the room.

Spencer.

Oh God.

I'm certain he'll bring up the topic of that stupid necklace the first chance he gets. Yet again, I'm clueless about how to respond. What excuse can be practical enough to explain why I still have the necklace and carry it everywhere with me.

I release a blow of air and rest my forehead on the heels of my palms with my elbows propped up on the desk.

The phone on my desk goes off, startling me.

Hoping against hope to not be bad news, I answer it. "Gracie Stewart speaking," I weakly say.

"Ma'am, Mr. Johnson insists on meeting you right away," Erika speaks.

Instantly, I straighten up. Nathan! Here! "Let him in."

My heart pounds in my chest as I sit taller on my chair and push my shoulders back. A mixture of anger, fear of the unknown, desperation, and frustration wreak havoc in me.

The door flies open, and Nathan marches inside. "Gracie," he greets me, shoving his hands into his trousers' pockets and halting a pace away from my desk. His tie is loose and the first button of his shirt, the same blue of his eyes, is undone.

I lean into my seat, pulling over a mask of confidence as I plant my elbows on the armrest and intertwine my fingers, holding his hard stare with an indifferent one.

"Nice office," he remarks, surveying the place.

I purse my lips and keep on staring at him.

"I believe you've received the news, right?"

"How can I not? I own that company."

He nods in an exaggeratedly slow way and I clench my jaw, slowly losing my cool. "Of course, but I thought since you moved your office here and you're going to be the William's daughter-in-law, MK enterprise has lost its meaning for you... after all, you're going to be one of the richest humans alive after marrying Kris."

I raise my eyebrow in a silent challenge. "I can't see why any of this would be of any importance to you."

"It wouldn't have been." He nods, striding towards my desk. "Only if you hadn't betrayed me."

I roll my eyes. "Oh please. I did not betray you. Get that inside your thick skull," I snarl.

He plants his palms on my desk and leans to me. "Or what?"

Sucking in a sharp breath through my nose, I try to calm my thundering heart and raging thoughts. "What do you want, Nathan?" I ask as coolly as I can muster.