41 (𝘚𝘱𝘦𝘯𝘤𝘦𝘳'𝘴 𝘗𝘖𝘝)

I pay the driver and get out of the car.

The rain has grown worse and as I stand in front of the building, trying to find the smallest amount of willpower to go home, it drenches me. The sky rumbles and another lightning strikes.

I crane my neck and watch the dark, cloudy sky. The raindrops splash on my glasses and I close my eyes, inhaling deeply, welcoming the icy rain on my face.

The ache in my jaw has turned to a dull throbbing, and my mind is still trying to flee from considering the possibilities of things not going smoothly back inside the operating room.

I plod into the building, leaving a wet, muddy trail behind me. The guy behind the desk jumps to his feet. His eyes widen with surprise, but I wave him off and walk into the elevator.

Even though I'm drained, my brain doesn't stop throwing Gracie's hurt face to the forefront of my mind. Everything and anything remindes me of her, forcing me to think about her.

I'm numb, at least physically, I think. I can't feel my body and my limbs are moving of their own accord. But in my head... it's anything but numb. Anger, pain, hurt, disgust, and frustration whirl and crush me.

I unlock the door and step inside.

Before I can shut the door, Julia with a pitched voice demands, "Where have you been?"

The door shuts with a faint click and I turn to face.

Her eyes travel from my head to toe too many times as she opens and closes her mouth more than I can count. "Care to explain?"

I walk past her and throw the keys on the sofa.

"Spencer!" she shouts. "What the hell!"

I don't stop and trudge into the bedroom and straight to the bathroom. I lock its door, ignoring Julia's screeching voice from the other side, demanding answers.

With a sigh and take off my clothes and turn on the shower, standing under the lukewarm water. I close my eyes, letting the sound of running water drown Julia's voice.

No matter how hard I try to focus on the sense of the water on my skin, I fail. Unmoving I keep my eyes shut until my thoughts quiet down and no longer Gracie's hurt face is staring at me.

It would've been great if it were possible to wash away the pain. It would've made everything so much easier.

I stay in the shower long enough to be sure I have a moderate amount of control over myself before stepping out and putting on fresh clothes.

Yet I don't feel any better when I leave the bathroom and thread across the bedroom.

With a sharp inhale I prepare myself for Julia's onslaught of inquiries.

The second I step foot into the living area, Julia raises to her feet, round the sofas and stands across from me, crossing her arms in front of her chest.

"What the fuck!" She shakes her head and rakes her hand through her hair before planting them on her hips. "This is unbelievable. I've been worried sick, and you don't even bother to answer me. Where were you until now? Do you know what time you got back?"

My frown deepens. Her voice is unbearably high and drills into my brain. As I stand in front of her, barely keeping myself upright, it dawns on me, I can no longer put up with her.

She's too much for me.

Keeping her in my life is a mistake.

"Are you going to even say anything?" she screams and I cringe.