32

A phone call from Erika harshly wakes me up at eight in the morning. Such an ungodly hour. Apparently, William asked her to do so, demanding an urgent meeting.

Being the ever so obedient soon-to-be daughter-in-law, I opt for a simple sky blue blouse and loose white trousers before hopping on my car with my driver speeding down to the office.

I get to the Judy Corp building and hurry to the floor with William's office on it. No one, not even Erika, knows what the meeting is going to be about.

With a sharp inhale, I pull on my strong suit before I knock on the door and let myself in. Not one step into the room, I halt.

Sophia, my lawyer, is sitting across from William and his lawyer. She turns, and a slow smile tugs the corner of her mouth as my gaze jumps from her to William.

What's going on?

"Good morning, Gracie. I hadn't noticed you come to the office after nine." William sets down the file he was scrutinizing and steeples his fingers.

I shut the door and march to the meeting desk, planting myself on the seat next to Sophia, right across from William.

"I prefer productivity over cliché timelines." I cross my legs, glancing at Sophia from the corner of my eye. "Well, what's going on?"

A slow smile spreads across William's face as he waves his hand at Sophia. She slides a file to me.

My brows furrow from increasing curiosity and confusion.

"After thorough deliberation, I've come to realize, a part of our deal needs enhancement, to be more practical."

I school my shocked face to an indifferent one, but my heart anxiously drums in my chest as I hold my breath and watch him with unease.

William glances at his lawyer before continuing, "Five years set for the duration of our contract seemed too fixed, inflexible even. I've decided to change that part."

I release a slow sigh of relief as I relax into my seat. Leaning back, I rest my elbows on the armrests and intertwine my fingers. "Looks like you want to get rid of me just as bad as I want to get rid of you."

A deep laugh rumbles out of him. He shifts on his spot and shakes his head, placing his forearms on the desk between us. "Perhaps. My lawyer and I have added an extension to the clause regarding the duration of our contract. We've suggested announcing the contract completed once both parties have reached their desired outcome, regardless of being earlier than five years."

"And if it takes longer?" I raise an eyebrow, not allowing myself to get hopeful just yet.

"Once it crosses five years, the partnership will be over by the terms of the contract and law," William's lawyer replies instead.

I nod slowly, letting the news sink in. Hesitantly, I glance at Sophia. She seems at ease. This is really happening! I bite my bottom lip to stop myself from grinning.

"Your lawyer has already gone through it. I've signed it, only your signature is required for finalizing it," William says.

I turn to Sophia and she nods, confirming his words. "Everything seems fine, profitable for both of you."

I flip open the file and Sophia shows me the new lines added to the clause. I read them closely before getting the pen from her and signing underneath it.

At last, I let myself draw in a deep breath, feeling like a tremendous weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Excitement slowly slithers into my system, hyping me up.