12

Spencer and I stand next to each other fuming as William walks further away.

I ball my free hand and I'm half tempted to pour the remaining of my drink on Spencer's head but I don't. Because of this stupid asshole, now I have to stay civil.

"This is your-" we start together and halt simultaneously, turning to face each other.

Taking the opportunity, I glare at him as I hiss, "This is your fault."

Spencer has the audacity to roll his eyes. "My fault! You can't control your mouth and it's my fault! Unbelievable."

"Well, if you hadn't talked shit behind my back like a little snitch, then I wouldn't have been forced to put up with your ugly ass for the rest of the night."

He snorts as a server walks by us and pauses in front of him. Spencer picks up a drink and the guy hurries away. "I only warned William of your true nature." He shrugs and sips his drink, his dark blue eyes wandering around the hall. "And, I told you I won't be letting this contract of yours work out." He throws me a pointed look sideways.

"And I told you to stay the hell out of my business," I snap, taking extra care in keeping my tone low enough no one can be able to eavesdrop on our conversation midst the loud chatter and the live music.

He quirks an eyebrow, shifting entirely to face me again. "Are you that desperate? Or your ego isn't allowing you to call a truce?"

I purse my lips and glower at him. "Your dumb words are not going to affect me, so don't waste your breath." I down the rest of my drink and place the glass on the nearest stand, before turning back to Spencer and crossing my arms in front of my chest. "And what lie did you cook up? What did you tell William?"

"That you cannot be trusted, bringing you into the family could be his biggest mistake."

I narrow my eyes. Spencer holds my glare with ease and quirks up an eyebrow as if silently challenging me.

Even though we're surrounded by people who know both of us but have no idea about our past, I dare to take a step towards him. "Why are you suddenly so concerned about your father? You used to hate that man."

His features harden. "People change," he curtly says.

I smirk. "Of course. But why are you trying so hard to keep me away from your family, or..." I inch closer to him, dropping my voice to a barely audible whisper, "Yourself."

His nostrils flare, the anger lighting up his face ensures me I've hit a good nerve.

Spencer's fingers tighten around his drink, but he doesn't look away.

"I know you'll wrap up your revenge in a few months and spend the rest of the time trying to find a way to make William go bankrupt, and steal his money."

"William is a smart businessman; he doesn't need your help or advice. He's capable of taking care of himself and his business."

"But I know you better." Spencer slightly leans down to me; our eyes remain locked. My heart pounds in my chest but I ignore the effect he has on me as he goes on, "And let's just say, if you're willing to go to any extent for protecting your lifestyle, I'm not far behind."

Since when did he start caring about money? Oh, God.

Not backing down, I counter back, "Is that what you tell yourself?" I feign pity and twirl a lock of my hair around my finger. "Wanna know something?" I whisper, holding his glacial glare. "I think, you're lying to me. The truth is, you don't want me around because you fear you won't be able to resist me and you don't want to be the bad guy in Julia's life."