6

The past few days were uneventful. After going over the details of the contract with my lawyer, we added some clauses to it; such as Kristian not being allowed to be with anyone intimately during the contract's span. Also, he's not permitted to make me do anything against my will, even for showing off in front of a crowd and proving our relationship, or else the contract will be over instantly.

As my driver speeds down the highway, I go over my coming week's work schedule through my laptop. It's going to be a hectic week, filled with meetings with associates and investors, then there's announcing my engagement with Kristian, too.

I sigh and pinch the bridge of my nose. I'm not looking forward to that particular event.

The car gradually slows down and my heart rate picks up. We near the mansion and I fear my heart is going to break free from my chest. I wipe my clammy palms over my white jumpsuit before fixing my necklace and readjusting the sides of the deep V neckline, dipping down my cleavage.

With a deep, shaky breath, I put my laptop aside as my driver glides past the opening electric doors and rounds the small fountain placed in the middle of the entrance.

The bushes and trees on either side of the gigantic mansion are trimmed. Already three other cars are parked on the left side. One silver Bugatti, Mason's car, next to Mom's black Mercedes, and the final, third car, a navy-blue Aston Martin is on the furthest right, the one nearest to the house.

My brows furrow slightly. Whose car could that be? Perhaps, Kristian's?

A mixture of relief and sadness swirls inside me. I was half expecting to see Spencer's car too, but it's not here.

And I refuse to consider it's been five years and he might have sold his black Mercedes coupe.

My drive runs around the car and opens the door for me, offering his hand as I climb out. My needle heels hit the dark-colored flagstone. He shuts the door as I take off my sunglasses and gaze at the mansion.

It's an enormous place, screaming money even from the exterior. The walls are white and the top stories' windowpanes give the entire building a palace-like feeling.

I inhale sharply and push my shoulders back, tightening my hold on my small clutch.

It's now or never.

It's worth it. Marrying Kristian and staying with him for five years is a fair price to pay for getting the revenge I'm after.

Still, my strides at first are not long and confident, they're hesitant and slow. But as I reach the few steps leading to the huge double doors, I pull on my strong suit and ascend the steps.

I can do it.

It's worth it.

Chanting these words in my head, I go up the final step, and the door opens. A girl dressed in a white shirt and black skirt smiles politely at me.

"Welcome, ma'am," she greets me, widening the door and stepping aside for me.

I nod and walk past her, my heels clicking loudly on the white marble floor.

She starts heading in the right direction and I follow her silently as I survey the place. A long glinting chandelier hangs from the tall ceiling of the area across from the entrance door. A wide set of staircases is placed a bit further on the left side of the house.

The corridor the girl leads me down, is comparatively narrow, with a single stand situated in the middle of it, and a gigantic vase overflowing with bright, rare, and expensive flowers is on top of it.