Face the music.

Thursday, February 27

A text notification pinged on Sabrina's cell phone as she was leaving the gym. After climbing into her SUV, she dug into the pocket of her duffel bag a pulled out the phone. She unlocked it and immediately read the message.

I'm home.
Can I see you?

Sabrina had been avoiding Amir since coming home from Chicago and had only seen him one time since, which happened to be the day he closed on his house.

He was so distracted that day once he FaceTimed his mother to show her the house, that Sabrina slipped out, promising she would call him.

The timing worked in her favor due to him moving into his home and then being on and off the road for games, which Sabrina still watched faithfully. Even with the busyness of her days, when the day came to an end, she found herself thinking about him.

No matter how hard she tried to fight it, Sabrina developed feelings for Amir but after what happened between them Valentine's Day weekend, she wasn't so sure that they could be just friends. She was conflicted by the way Amir treated her. Could she be strictly platonic with a man like that?

She knew she'd have to face him at some point, but she was scared. She blew out a breath and texted him back.

When?

Whenever.
I miss you.

Sabrina read the last message twice.
I miss him too, she thought to herself.

Although Sabrina tried to keep things short when texting and made herself too busy for their usual FaceTime calls, she missed him. His voice, his smell, his touch, his goofy personality, his smile. Those dimples. The way he kept her smiling and laughing. She had it bad.

Though the two hadn't seen each other much since he left the hotel that Sunday, Amir made sure Sabrina knew he was always thinking about her.

He continued sending fresh flowers with a special note to her office every week. Edible arrangements showed up at the office on the Monday she returned to work. He had lunch delivered to her on the days they were texting and she told him she'd been too busy to eat. He paid attention to detail and that was new for her, from a man.

Before responding to his last text, she to called Chantelle as she drove home.

"What's up, bookie?" Her friend picked up.

"Telley, I have to break things off with him."

"Brina, how you gonna break up with someone you're not in a relationship with?" Her friend laughed.

"You know what I mean. Would I be a horrible person if I block him now?"

"The way he got you shook, you sure he ain't dick you down? Man must have the magic touch."

Sabrina rolled her eyes, "I'm sure this would be much harder to do if he did."

"I know you're scared, but I think you should give the man a chance. He's been applying pressure proving that he wants you since day one. Don't let your past scare you away from the happiness you deserve."

Sabrina listened to what her friend was saying. She knew she was right, but past trauma had a hold on her.

"Thank you for that. I'll call you later and let you know how it goes." She ended the call and FaceTimed Nick to check on Niko.

"What up, baby mama?" Nick answered, beaming.

"What's my baby doing, baby daddy?" She laughed.

Nick walked into Niko's room and turned the camera to show that her son was sleeping. "He went swimming today after school with some of the older kids. I'm glad you put him in those swimming lessons last year, 'cause this boy loves the water."

Sabrina smiled, proudly into the phone, "My baby's a natural."

Nick cleared his throat, "Sabrina,"

"Yeah?"

"You ever think about havin' another one?" He paused for her reaction, then continued, as he walked out of his son's bedroom, "I know we agreed we were done after everything, but seeing Niko with the other kids sometimes... and knowing he's an only child," He hesitated, "I was thinkin maybe we could—"

"Nicholas, what are you even saying? There is no we." She cut his sentence short. "Did you forget that girl was just playin on my phone a couple weeks ago, and telling anyone who will listen that I'm a homewrecker?" Sabrina rallied off getting upset just thinking about it. "And then that shit at Niko's party."

"Sabrina, you know it ain't that, and I already apologized for all that shit, man." He took a deep breath, calming himself. "Look, I know that I fucked up with you, but I know I could get it right if we tried again."

Sabrina knew Nick had been in his feelings tough lately, and she didn't dare ask why. It was none of her business. But him considering reversing his vasectomy was a surprise to her when he was adamant that he would never do so once it was done.

She sighed, heavily, "I don't think that's a good idea."

"I'm not saying it has to be now. Just think about it, yeah? I can get in some counseling and whatever else you need me to do to show you I'm serious. You're the only woman I want to be my wife." He laid it on thick.

"I'm in traffic right now, so I need to focus on driving. I'll call Niko tomorrow."

"Aight, drive safe, mama." He said before ending the FaceTime. Talking to Nick was starting to become daunting. That wasn't at all what she expected when she called to check on her son. She felt like her heart was in a tug o war.

When she finally arrived home, she went back and opened the previous text thread, as she sat in the parking garage.

Not in the outside mood
can we stay in?

Whatever you want.

Be there around 8.

She went upstairs to her apartment and took a long shower to calm her nerves. She washed out her press since she'd already sweat most of her hair out in her HIIT class. When she got out she sent a text to her hair stylist to tell her she'd need an appointment soon.

The stylist, a woman by the name of Gail, was the only person Sabrina would allow in her head, especially after having Niko and suffering from postpartum hair loss. The woman truly had growing hands. Gail got back to her quickly, as usual, and told her she's got an opening tomorrow afternoon for her favorite client.

She pulled her coils back into a low ponytail and lotioned her skin, before putting on a black Savage X Fenty bralette and matching boy shorts. No makeup tonight. She wasn't in the mood. After finally gathering her courage, she threw on a Savage X Fenty loungewear set and slipped on her short UGG boots.

It was time to face the music.