Family time

Saturday, March 21

Sabrina sat in the kitchen at her mother's house helping her younger sister clean the vegetables for dinner.

"There goes your friend Sabrina." Sabrina's sister, Riley, giggled pointing at the tv in the connected living room.

Her father, David, was sitting in his large chair watching sports highlights and Amir's post-game interview came across the screen from the home game the night before.

"Her boyfriend you mean," her brother shouted, sitting on the couch.

"Austin, Riley, quiet." Their mother, Adrianne scolded her children.

Austin, the middle child, and Niko's favorite and only uncle, was being purposely petty. He was upset at his older sister for going to the Laker games and not inviting him. He was in his first year of college playing basketball at UCLA.

Riley, the baby was a senior in high school. She played soccer. She idolized her older sister Sabrina. The sisters were close despite their almost ten-year age gap.

"Mama, I didn't say nothing bad. Austin's always tryna make trouble." Riley explained herself.

Sabrina washed her hands, giggling at her siblings. "Tin tin, you mad at me?" She asked giving her little brother puppy dog eyes.

He flattened his mouth before answering, "No, big head."

Sabrina gasped in pretend offense, "Mommy, my head big?"

They all laughed as Sabrina's mom answered, grating the cheese for her macaroni, "It's because you have a big brain, baby."

She shook her head, then shrugged. "See Austin, you wanna be a jerk. I was gonna see if you wanted to come to the game against Golden State next Sunday."

Austin shot up from his seat and ran into the kitchen, immediately bear-hugging his sister. Austin stood six feet two inches tall,  so when he picked up Sabrina, her feet didn't touch the floor. "Bina I was just kidding. You know you're my favorite sister in the whole wide world." He used his name for her from when he was a child and couldn't properly say Sabrina.

Sabrina smiled big because she knew she had him. "Yeah, I bet." She laughed as he put her down. "Since mom and dad are going to be gone for their cruise, you and Ry can spend the weekend at my house and come to the game with me."

"We appreciate that Sabrina. That's really nice." Her mother said. "So when are you gonna let us meet him?" She asked, not forgetting about Sabrina's little friend.

Sabrina's face heated as she blushed. "Um, I'll see when he's free maybe he can come to dinner one of these days." She replied as her phone started vibrating in her pocket. She pulled it out to see who it was.

Amir 💜💛 Would like FaceTime...

She laughed, putting in her AirPods, "See, now y'all spoke this man up." She slid the bar to answer. "Hello." She locked the screen and shoved it into her pocket.

"Why you got me paused woman?" He asked once he wasn't able to see her.

"I'm at my parents house, helping my mom with dinner."

"Tell moms I said hello." He chuckled in the call.

"Boy hush," she whispered. "What you doing?"

"Sitting in this traffic that I will never get used to. I swear it wasn't this bad in Chicago."

Austin walked over and shouted into Sabrina's ear so Amir could hear him, "Sabrina, over here cupcaking on the phone mama, but don't wanna ask the boy to come to dinner."