Dinner

Thursday, January 16

The day of Sabrina and Amir's date came quickly. Even though they'd had been texting regularly since their first FaceTime call, Sabrina found herself growing more anxious as she prepared for the evening.

Worry was written all over her face as she stood in the full length mirror staring at her reflection. Her brown hair was pulled into a pressed updo with curls of hair falling to frame her face. She wore a blue wrap mini dress with a pair of nude strappy heels and a matching clutch.

"Knock knock," Chantelle said as she walked into Sabrina's bedroom. He mouth nearly dropped looking at her friend, "Oh biiiitch, you look goood! You know I gotta get some pictures before you leave." she gassed her friend. "Them tittys tittying by the way."

Sabrina laughed through the nerves, "Girl, it's my ovulation time. I hate it here. I couldn't hide them if I wanted to." She tried to adjust the dress around her swollen breast, rolling her eyes when she couldn't get them to cooperate."You sure this looks okay? It's not too much?" She slowly spun around so her friend could see the entire outfit.

"You look great."

"I'm nervous, Chan." Sabrina sighed.

"Don't be, you look bomb. you already know the chemistry is there because y'all been texting everyday. You already like him, don't overthink it."

"We know what happened last time I liked a guy." She said, and like clockwork, Niko burst into the room.

He gasped, "Mommy, you look pwetty."

"Thank you, papa. Can mommy have a kiss before I leave?" She leaned down to him.

He kissed her and smiled widely, "Can TT and me watch movies?"

Before Sabrina could answer, Chantelle did, "Of course, we can. Go pick us a movie on the big tv and I'll make the popcorn."

He ran out of the room before his mother could protest. Sabrina sighed, "you spoil that boy," she snickered.

"So do you and his daddy. Now Brina... please, go out and have fun. I got Niko. Go be a woman tonight, not a mommy."

Sabrina looked at herself in the mirror one last time and released a breath, trying to relax. "Okay," She finally said before applying some perfume.

She arrived at the steakhouse well early and checked in with the valet before entering the restaurant. Amir was still a stranger to her so she didn't want him picking her up from her home. They agreed to meet at the restaurant at 8.

As she took a seat at the bar, she sent Amir a text stating that she'd arrived. She ordered herself a drink while she waited so they could be seated together once he arrived. After sitting for a few minutes, Sabrina was approached by a man who looked like he'd just got off work from his corporate career.

"Can I buy you a drink, miss?" The gentleman asked, once he sat down one seat over.

Sabrina gently raised her martini glass, with a soft smile, "I've got one already, but thank you for the offer."

"You're very beautiful." The man said, before turning his attention to the bartender.

A few moments later, she heard that deep baritone voice she'd been expecting, from behind her, "Hey, gorgeous,"

She looked over her shoulder, and greeted him with her eyes before saying "Hi, handsome." He was dressed in all black, wearing gold jewelry, smelling good.

Amir held out a large inked up hand to take hers, "Our table is this way." he led her to a private area where there weren't any other guests dining.

Sabrina appreciated the privacy. Before she knew it, he had her crying with laughter as Amir told her story's about him and Kirk back in his college days.

"Kirk is really my dawg, for real." He chuckled, "I can tell that's how you and Chantelle are. A couple of troublemakers."

"We are innocent until proven guilty." She laughed, "That's my girl though, the best friend I could ever have. Blood couldn't make us any closer. She keeps me grounded and balanced. We grew up together. Two bougie black girls living in Bel Air."

"Now it all makes sense. The way she clowned old dude that yaw had dinner wit that night. She had me embarrassed for him."

"Read that man to filth." Sabrina laughed, "She was about to curse Vic out for how bold he was being. So how do y'all know them?"

"Kirk runs a sports agency, he represents all of us. I was one of his first clients, of course." He stated proudly. "I met the other guys a year or so ago. They some cool guys."

"Oh," Sabrina said before taking a sip of her drink, "Don't tell me, you play in the NFL too?" She asked, nervously.

Amir shook his head, "Nah. You a fan of them?"

"No, why do you ask?"

"You knew they played football?"

"Oh, not at first." She paused to get her thoughts together. "My son's father plays for the Rams and his cousin plays for New Orleans. So imagine my surprise after Sunday's game when I run into those two at the post-game barbecue."

Amir nodded his head, listening. "Yaw still close like that?" He asked.

"Who?"

"You and your son's father."

"Hmmm, we co-parent pretty well. I mean, It could be worse." She laughed it off. "So how does Kirk represent you? What do you do?" She asked, quickly changing the subject.

He chuckled before answering, his dimple making its appearance, "I play with that overrated guy we talked about the other night."

Sabrina's stomach dropped as her smile slowly faded. She couldn't hide the disappointment in her voice if she wanted to.

"You play in the NBA?"