Give me a Chance

Amir stood hugging a crying Sabrina in his arms. His chin gently rested on top of her head, as her tears soaked up his chest through his t-shirt.

When she arrived, he invited her inside where there was a bouquet of fifty dark pink roses. He followed that up with a large box of chocolate-dipped strawberries with a note thanking her for an unforgettable weekend. She couldn't stop cheesing as she read it.

But what made her cry, was him casually handing her a little black velvet box. Inside was a gold keychain shaped in her initials attached to her own set of keys to his house.

The woman was in love with this home from the moment it was sent to her by the seller but once Amir bought it, she didn't think much more about it, because it was his now. It never crossed her mind to be a frequent visitor. Of course, he had other plans.

"Please don't cry," Amir consoled her, his deep voice rumbling through her ears as her head was still pressed to his chest, "You not bein fair."

"What is there to be fair about, Amir?" She sniffled, stepping back to look up at him. "We can't do this. I can't do this."

"Why you sayin that?" His thick eyebrows dipped, in disappointment. "You judgin me on things I ain't never did."

"I'm not judging you. I just..." her voice trailed off as she dropped her face, in shame. He used his hand to lift it back so she could look him in the eyes. Her eyes closed as more tears fell, "I swore I wouldn't do this again."

"I ain't mean to make you cry."

"It's not you, Amir, it's me."

"Why you sound like you breakin' up with me?" He chuckled, humorlessly, coming to the realization, that maybe she was. "Is that why you been dodgin me, again?"

"No, I'm just... I'm angry with myself." She confessed, wiping her face with a tissue he'd given her.

"Why? You haven't done nothin wrong." He tried to reason with her. "This new for both of us. I told you, we'll take things as slowly as you need and I meant that. I'm not askin you to move in, I just want you to have access to the house too. Whatever I gotta do to show you that I want you, it's done." He pulled his phone from his pocket and tried to hand it to her, "Here, my password is 2311."

"No." She refused. "Your phone is your business."

"What I need to do, Sabrina? I can't just let you walk out my life 'cause I'm an athlete. You need me to retire? Lemme call this nigga Kirk." he unlocked his phone.

Sabrina softly giggled at his desperation, placing her hands on his, "Stop playing." She wiped her tears some more.

"For real. You my baby. The energy and vibe when I'm witchu is unlike anything I've ever experienced. You too important in my life to just end things like this." He opened his arms for her to close the little distance left between them, "I have nothin but respect and admiration for you as a woman, a mother, and a friend to me. I would never risk losin that. If I took things too far in Chicago, I'm sorry—"

"No." She cut him off, shaking her head and looking him in the eyes. She didn't want him to think he'd done something wrong because he hadn't. "Chicago... was amazing." She breathed. "The way you made me feel, the way you're still making me feel." She paused. "I'm scared because it's unfamiliar to me."

"Is there somethin I did to make you feel unsure of me?"

"No." She shook her head. "It's the exact opposite. I feel at peace around you."

Unbothered by the wetness of his shirt, she let him hold her tight, as he spoke, "On my soul, I'm not tryna to scare you away, but I wake up in the morning and thank God for bringing you into my life. You have a beautiful soul, Sabrina. I care for you a lot already, and I want you to be part of my life, in whatever way you allow." He affirmed.