Birthday

Sunday, February 2nd.

"Happy birthday tooo you. Happy birthday tooo you. Happy birthday dear Nikoooo, happy birthday tooo you." The party, which consisted of at least thirty people, sang. It was Niko's fourth birthday and everyone was gathered in Nicholas' large backyard.

"Blow out your candles and make a wish, papa," Sabrina told her son who was seated in her lap at the table. He had the biggest smile. Everyone clapped and took photos and videos of the occasion. Niko blew out his candles and jumped from his mother's lap to go play some more.

The children in attendance ranged from classmates from Niko's preschool class to Nick's teammate's children. They stood around excitedly, waiting for the two-tiered Avengers cake they'd been eyeing all afternoon to finally be cut. The backyard of Nick's home was decorated to match the theme of the cake.

It was a bright and sunny afternoon and everyone was getting along fine, despite Sabrina still not speaking much to Nick over his girlfriend's antics on her phone some weeks before.

"Hey, Niiikoooo. I've got a gift for you." A high-pitched voice announced. Sabrina turned around to see who that voice was coming from. She recognized this girl, but couldn't place her. Her mood immediately felt off but she didn't know why. "Oh, hi Sabrina. I almost didn't recognize you," the girl, cackled. "you look different on Instagram."

Sabrina laughed, humorlessly. "Uhhh, hi..."

"Lauren. Nick's fiancée." The woman introduced herself, sounding annoyed that Sabrina didn't know who she was.

Sabrina's eyes widened, "Oh." She quietly analyzed the women. It was ironic that she brought up Sabrina looking different on Instagram when the girl in fact looked nothing like the few photos Sabrina had seen.

"Hi." Niko greeted his father's girlfriend, before running to join his friends.

Sabrina noticed the gift bag in Lauren's hand, "I can put that on the gift table for you." She offered, genuinely.

"No thanks, I can put it in his room. It's literally down the hall from me and Nicks bedroom," Lauren turned her nose up at her boyfriend's baby mama.

"Ok." Sabrina forced a smile to be cordial, not in the mood to cause an issue at her son's party. "Would you like some cake?"

"I don't eat that stuff." The woman shook her head.

Sabrina realized, there was no sense in trying. She walked over to the parents seated at the table that was usually used for poker nights.

A strong hand slipped around her hip, causing her to jump slightly. "What's up, mama," Nick whispered in her ear. "You did great with this party." He complimented.

"Keep your hands to yourself, thank you." Sabrina said, forcing an awkward smile, "your girlfriend's here." She nodded her head in the direction she'd seen the girl last.

"What girlfriend?" Nick laughed but stopped when he realized Sabrina was serious. "Lauren's here?"

"Yeah. Why you sound so surprised?" She asked standing from her seat and stepping away so they wouldn't cause a scene.

"She's not supposed to be here. I haven't even heard from her ass since she did that bullshit callin' your phone."

"Language, Nick." She leaned in, scolding him. "I didn't know that, but she's here. She said she was gonna put Niko's gift in his room."

"Fuck." He cursed himself. "Come with me, 'cause I don't need her tryna fight today."

Sabrina followed him inside the house and into the kitchen, "Nicholas, it ain't none of my business what y'all do in your house, but you know it's too many people here to be doing this. Let the girl chill, I doubt she gon act ignorant in front of all these people." she shrugged, " but If she starts actin up, have your mom tell her to leave. You know Mama E don't play about the kids. My mom left already, or else I'd ask her to do it."