Block Him

The front door opened and Chantelle looked up from her phone to see her friend walk inside the apartment. Sabrina put her clutch and keys on the counter and slumped over.

"Soooo, how was it?" Chantelle asked, ready to hear all the details.

"I'm gonna block him," Sabrina said as she flopped on the couch next to her friend and took off her heels.

"Damn, what happened?" Chantelle sat up giving her undivided attention as Sabrina passed her iPhone to her. It was opened to Amir's Instagram page.

Chantelle looked at the screen and began to scroll. "Damn, he plays for the Lakers?"

"Yeah, he was traded from the Bulls recently."

"So why exactly are we blocking him?"

Sabrina sighed, "Cause, you know I said no more professional athletes. I can't deal with it." She stood from the couch and headed to her bedroom to change out of her dress.

"Every athlete is not like Nick, Sabrina." Chantelle scolded, following behind.

"Suuure, tell that to the women getting cheated on. We both have seen the shit the blogs post." Sabrina huffed, walking into her closet.

Chantelle laid across Sabrina's bed and unlocked her phone going straight to google to do some research, reading aloud, "Amir Walker. He's from Chicago. Drafted to Orlando, then traded a year later to the Bulls. A little younger than you, but only two years. His birthday's in May...A Taurus who played for the bulls." She laughed. "I've never even seen his name in any of the gossip blogs. Not even the forums."

"See," Sabrina said, coming out of her closet, now wearing an oversized t-shirt. She then went into her bathroom and began washing off her makeup.

"See what?" Chantelle laughed getting off the bed. She stood in the doorway waiting for Sabrina's rebuttal.

"He's probably one of those who knows how to keep that shit low." She said scrubbing her face. "A twenty three year old millionaire athlete who's played for 3 different NBA teams and you think he's got no groupies. We both know better."

"Or, here's a thought. He's smart and doesn't have drama."

Sabrina stopped what she was doing and rolled her eyes at her friend. "When have you met a man here in LA that had no drama or baggage whatsoever? And if you did why you not with that nigga?"

"First of all, I'm picky. Second, there are damn near 8 billion people on this earth. 4 million people in Los Angeles alone. You think all the men in that group are trash?" Chantelle rallied on.

Walking out of the bathroom and throwing herself on the bed, Sabrina responded, "Only half of that population are men, less than half of those men are black. How many of those adult males do you think are SINGLE, STRAIGHT and either CHILDLESS or don't have BABYMAMA DRAMA? The pool is getting smaller and smaller."

Chantelle gave an exaggerated sigh.

"You staying here tonight?" Sabrina asked, with puppy dog eyes. She missed their sleepovers.

Chantelle laughed, "Might as well move in since our lonely asses gon end up marrying each other one day. You got any wine?"

That made Sabrina remember, "Oh, that reminds me, not only is he celibate, he said he's looking to get married. He told me when God gives him his wife, then that's when he'll have a child. You not gon tell me he's not too good to be true."

Chantelle looked at her friend, dumbstruck. "He actually sounds perfect. Why not give the man a chance? Even if nothing comes from it, can't you just enjoy the ride?"

"Why can't we just be friends?"

"Why can't you?" Chantelle repeated as she walked out the room.

Sabrina thought about it. Was it possible for two people of the opposite sex to be platonic friends? "I don't know." She said quietly, before shouting,"The wine's in the fridge."