Talk

"I'm home," Sabrina informed Chantelle over the phone. She had called her best friend and stayed on the phone the whole ride home.

Chantelle sighed in relief, "Alright. Call me if you need anything." She told her, "And don't go nowhere else."

"Okay okay," Sabrina promised before ending the call.

She walked inside her bedroom and began rearranging her pillows before kicking off her slides and climbing into bed. It took no time at all for her to fall asleep.

She stirred awake a few hours later with her stomach growling. She stretched, looking around her dark bedroom, and searched for her phone in the bed but couldn't find it in all the pillows. She clicked on the light on her nightstand to see Nick sitting at the foot of her bed with his back to her.

"Is it true, Sabrina?" He asked, calmly.

"What you doin' here?"

"Answer my question...please?"

Sabrina's eyes searched the room as quickly as she could then mentally cursed herself for ending up in this situation again. Defenseless. She had to think quickly. "What are you asking me?"

"You pregnant?"

Sabrina said nothing. She knew the hoodie she was wearing hid her swelling belly as she sat up fully in bed still looking for her phone.

He stood up and turned around to face her with bloodshot eyes. He looked like he hadn't been sleeping. "Answer my damn question." He said, keeping his voice low.

When she still didn't answer him, he nodded his head, slowly, "So you went off and married this nigga, and gon give him a baby." He laughed, humorlessly, looking at Sabrina in disappointment. "Nothin' like a woman scorned."

Sabrina's face contorted in anger, before she asked, "You think I did this as a getback?"

"I ain't marry you when I should've so you go and marry him. I asked you to try again, but you gave my chance to him. Make sense now that I know why." He looked away briefly, then shouted, "THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE US!"

She flinched back, before responding, "Nick that couldn't be us. You gave your family up for alcohol, drugs, and women." She said, harshly. "Your loyalty wasn't to me."

"I got help!"

"You still need help, Nick." She said, honestly.

"You don't get to tell me what the fuck I need when you abandoned me. I needed you!"

She scrunched her face, as the compassion left her, "I abandoned you?" She stood up and squared her shoulders, ready for a fight, "Nigga, you put me in the hospital. I almost died."

"You bein' dramatic." He waved her off. "One concussion ain't gon kill you. I got my shit rocked for a living, week after week! " He pounded his hand on his chest with his words.

Sabrina had had enough. She snatched her scarf off her head, showing him the scar that was barely covered with hair. Long gone were Sabrina's long coils, replaced by short curls. "Dramatic? I had to have brain surgery. I was in a coma, Nick."

Nicholas approached her slowly and she shrunk back, "You afraid of me?" He asked.

She looked at the floor, not wanting to look him in the eyes as hers began to water standing in front of him like this. Vulnerable and weak.

"You know I wasn't tryna hurt you, Sabrina."

"I believe you, but you're hurting, so you don't see what you're doing to the people around you."