Hurt People

"You wanna take the bed? I can sleep on the pullout." Nick offered, as he and Sabrina settled in the guest bedroom to go to sleep.

Sabrina smiled, "Rock, paper, scissors?"

"No, you take the bed, mama. I want you to be comfortable. You havin' to sleep on a flight 'cause of me is bad enough."

She chuckled, "Well, now that you mention it," She sat down on the foot of the bed.

"You look exhausted." He teased.

She flipped him off. "Thanks, asshole."

Nick smirked and sat down on the sofa across from her, "Thank you for comin' down here with a nigga like this. What I did in your apartment was beyond foul. I can't let my selfish ass emotions get the best of me," He admitted, rubbing the back of his neck. "I ain't tryna make excuses, it just fucks me up thinkin' about you really bein with somebody else even if he's a good dude. And that ain't fair considering I've been with plenty of women since we broke up." He paused and sighed heavily, "I just wanna enjoy this break from reality before I go back to LA and focus on training camp. Might be my last season."

Sabrina sat quietly, listening to his words. She was aware that his contract was coming to an end, and there hadn't been any talks of an extension, so she understood the pressure he was under. Whether he was going to a new team, or retiring, Sabrina understood Nick was stressed.

"I'm here for you, no matter what. We used to be friends, regardless of anything. Niko needs to see that."

Nicholas decided this was as good of a time as any to ask, "You in love with this dude?"

"Nick—"

"Never mind," He shook his head, "One more question, then we can stop talkin bout it. That ring on your finger, y'all doin' that for real?" He asked.

Sabrina's eyes dropped to the floor, no longer able to look at him. Before she could answer, Nick spoke again, "You don't have to say it. I want you to be happy."

"I want the same for you," Sabrina said as a tear dropped down her cheek. "You're stronger than this. I know you can be better. We just have to find better ways to cope."

"I...Sabrina. I have to find better ways to cope. I won't drag you down with me."

The next day, after tossing and turning all night, Sabrina was up early. She went out into the backyard and called her son's grandmother.

"Hey, pretty girl. How are you?" Esther said on the FaceTime.

"I'm good. I'll probably fly out of here tonight and get Niko tomorrow afternoon, but Nick might stay a few more days."

"Okay, I'm so thankful that you're there for him. We both know he doesn't deserve it and you don't have to be, but I know how big your heart is."

Sabrina gave her a small smile, "Can I talk to my baby?"

Before she could even respond, Niko's face was on the phone, smiling wide. "Hey, Papa. You not driving your gammy crazy are you?"

"No, she let me help her cook. Are you gonna come eat with us?" He asked

"Not today, but I'll be there tomorrow to try it, okay?"

"I get to stay another tomorrow?"

"Yes, one more tomorrow." She smiled.

"I love you, mommy."

"Mommy loves you more."

As she was talking, Nick came outside. He heard his son's voice on the phone and brightened up. "Lemme talk to my mans." He got in the camera laughing playfully as Sabrina handed him the phone, "Hey, big man."