Decisions

"Mom," Chantelle ran to Sabrina's mom with open arms and squeezed her in a tight hug immediately.

Amir walked over right behind her, hugging Sabrina's father. He was so lost in his thoughts, that he hadn't spoken much since his conversation with Kirk in the car.

"Any update," Chantelle asked.

"Nothing new. She's in a coma while they monitor her." Adrianne explained, wiping her eyes.

"Austin has Niko, they're staying at Amir's house," Chantelle told the woman. She frowned deeper, thinking how it would affect her grandson if her daughter didn't make it.

"Mr and Mrs Lewis," a man called as they were standing around talking.

The group turned their attention to the man who looked to be in his fifties. He took his glasses off and cleaned them on the hem of his scrubs before speaking. "I'm Dr. Brooks. I was on your daughter's surgery team." He introduced himself. "Can I speak with you privately?"

"We can speak here. This is her husband and sister."

"Alright. Your daughter suffered from what is called a subdural hematoma, which is a buildup of blood on the surface of the brain. The sudden impact to her head caused some blood vessels to rupture or tear.

The way that we treated that was by drilling a small hole in the skull to allow the blood to drain relieving the pressure and build up. We're gonna keep her here and monitor her over the next few days and make sure the blood was properly drained and there is no clotting so we don't have to perform a craniotomy."

"Thank you." Sabrina's mother thanked the man. "Are we able to see her?"

"For now they're allowing two visitors at a time for the duration of 10 minutes until we take her out of the coma." He informed the family. "Be aware, when we do these procedures, we have to shave the hair on part of the head to cut open the scalp so don't be alarmed by her appearance."

They nodded, in understanding, "Thank you again."

Amir sat quietly in the waiting room chair. He felt paralyzed. He could hear all the voices speaking around him, but it only sounded like noise.

"Amir," Chantelle repeated, finally grabbing his attention. He looked up at her solemnly. "We can go see her now."

He stood up, lazily and they walked to her room in silence. As they walked inside a nurse had just finished checking Sabrina's vital signs. She looked extremely uncomfortable with all the wires and tubes around her body and the ventilator mouthpiece on her face. Her head was wrapped. The nurse forced a smile at them as she left the room.

Chantelle walked over first and placed her hand on top of her friend's, "You gon get through this Brina cuz that's what bad bitches do, okay." She whispered in tears. "I love you so much."

"You think she can hear us?" Amir asked, getting closer.

"Of course. My girl is nosey." Chantelle chuckled stepping out of his way. "Your husband here, girl."

Amir held Sabrina's hand and looked at all the medical tags around her wrist. He shook his head, "When you wake up, I'm not lettin' you out my sight." His low voice started to crack, "I can't let you go nowhere no more." He laid a hand on her stomach, "Why couldn't you just come home to me?"

"They didn't say anything about..."

"I don't know if they knew. I didn't want to mention it in front of her folks. Not like this." Amir told her. The situation was bad enough as it was.

Chantelle watched Amir as he stared at Sabrina sadly. He looked so broken. She'd never seen him look like this. He was always smiling and loving on Sabrina when she saw them together, so this was so different. "We'll be back later, bookie." She leaned over and kissed her friend's cheek.