A surpise.

Wednesday, August 5

Sabrina was becoming stir-crazy in her hotel room. She flipped through channels on the TV when someone knocked at the door. She stood up slowly and made her way over to open it. She gave a small smile to Tameeka and turned around walking back to her seat in the bed.

"Hey mama, how are you feeling?" Meeka asked as she came inside and shut the door.

"Like shit," Sabrina revealed, settling back in bed.

"Are you able to rest at all?"

"Not much. I feel drained but my brain won't shut off. These headaches are insane. I don't wanna take anything because of the baby," she ranted getting frustrated.

Seeing Sabrina getting worked up, Meeka tried to calm her down, "Here, come lay down."

Sabrina laid back down in the bed, with all the pillows keeping her upright. As she lay there, Meeka massaged the pressure points in her hands, naturally trying to relieve the headache.

Once Meeka noticed Sabrina's breathing steadied, she turned on a movie and stayed with her as she slept.

The hotel room door beeped then opened and Amir entered the room as quietly as he could just in case Sabrina was sleeping. He had left to get her food. When he saw her sleeping and Meeka next to her quietly watching TV he was relieved.

He gave Meeka a head nod and she smiled. She slid off the bed and motioned Amir to step out of the room with her.

When they were in the hallway she spoke, "How has she been?"

Amir slid his hand down his face, "Angry....all the time. This ain't like her."

"What did the doctors say?"

"They said the baby looks good, as far as Sabrina, since she's pregnant, they can't do much for her. She had a few blood transfusions last week, but other than that she has to let her body recover naturally."

"Have y'all thought about... maybe... you know."

"Seein' her suffer like this is fuckin' me up."

"Maybe you could convince her. You don't have that many weeks left before the option is gone."

"That ain't a option, at all. Sabrina already decided." He said, fidgeting with the wedding ring on his finger, he wanted to cry just thinking about it, "She said she rather suffer than abort."

"Damn."

Amir took his phone out and played the ultrasound video for her. Meeka smiled widely at the sound of the baby's strong heartbeat. "Why y'all ain't tell me y'all was havin' twins." She asked, still smiling.

"Whatchu talmbout? We not havin' no twins." Amir said, looking at her like she'd grown a second head.

"Baybee, that don't sound like one heartbeat. You got twins in your family?"

Amir shook his head no, still listening to the ultrasound video trying to decipher what Tameeka was hearing.

"When is Sabrina's next appointment?"

"Tomorrow, wit the neurologist."

"Have them refer her for another ultrasound while y'all there."

The next day the doctor finished removing Sabrina's staples and sent her for an updated CT scan and MRI. After a full examination, he said everything looked good. Even with those words, Sabrina was frustrated about how she still felt like she was missing pockets of her mind. She didn't feel like everything was fine. She was tired of being away from home, she missed Niko and her family.

To add to her frustration, the doctor informed her she wasn't cleared to fly for at least 6 more weeks. There was too much of a risk of pressure on her brain at that high altitude.

The things no one talks about after brain surgery is, that you can't fly, lay down flat, drink from a straw, or even drive yourself for at least 3 months.

Now she was glaring a hole into the side of her husband's head because he'd requested another ultrasound. "You have your video and pictures from the last one. Why do I need to do this again?" She scolded him.

Amir exhaled, "Trust me," he said, helping her undress from the waist down. She sat on the table and he helped her swing her legs over so she could lie down with the pillows propped under her head. He placed the blanket over her bottom half so she was covered and then went to invite the technician back in.

"How far along did you measure before?" The technician asked.

"I should be right at 10 weeks," she replied.

The ultrasound technician moved the tool around inside Sabrina trying to get a good measurement of the baby, "Baby might be measuring small," She said pressing buttons on the machine.

"Where do you have her?" Amir asked.

"8 and a half weeks."

"Is that a big difference?" He asked.

"Not a lot, hang on Sabrina, I'm gonna take this out," she pulled the device out and Sabrina instantly felt relieved.

Ultrasounds can be uncomfortable, but of course, women deal with them because...you know. Baby.

"Go ahead and put your legs down for me, we're going to do an abdominal ultrasound." The woman grabbed a bottle of liquid gel from the counter, "Lift your shirt for me a little, this is gonna be warm, okay." she squirted some gel on Sabrina's stomach and began moving the wand across her abdomen silently.

"Ahhh that's what's going on." The nurse smiled, then hummed.

Amir looked at the screen and began to grin. As his eyes began to water, Sabrina looked at him, confused, and asked, "What?"

"Okay, mom, here go your babies."

"Babies?" Sabrina repeated as she stared at the screen. There they were. Two babies, with two separate amnionic sacs. "Twins?"

After the ultrasound, Sabrina and Amir returned to the doctor's office. She hadn't talked much since finding out there were two babies and not one. She couldn't take her eyes off the ultrasound photo of Baby A and Baby B.

"I know she can't fly, but can't we drive? We been out here too long as it is. Our son is back in Los Angeles, and she needs to start her prenatal care with her doctors." Amir asked the man, trying to remain respectful. He was at his wits end with this doctor considering he'd told Amir that the pregnancy may not have been viable, to begin with.

"Driving does have some risks, but if you take frequent breaks and she gets adequate rest, I don't see anything wrong with that."

"Thank you. Who do talk to about her records for the care she received here, so her primary doctor has them?"

"Our member services department can provide you with all of that information."

"Thank you."