On the road

Tuesday, March 10

"I wanna take you somewhere." Sabrina declared over the FaceTime call. She was on her MacBook doing some research and had Amir on her iPad, which was propped up on a pillow in the middle of the bed. She sat against the headboard pecking away at the keyboard.

"Take me somewhere?" He inquired, with a smirk. "Where?" He put down the book he was reading to give her his full attention.

"It's a surprise, but I'm gonna come to Sunday's game then we'll fly out Monday morning." She typed away at her keyboard finding flights.

"Baby going on the road." He smiled.

A few days later, Sabrina arrived at Denver International Airport. It was nearly 2 in the afternoon so she arranged an Uber to take her to the Hotel. While she waited for her ride she visited one of the lounges to relax. She called Chantelle to let her know she'd arrived safely.

"Hey. How was the flight?"

"Not bad, I'm at the airport now. I have a few hours before the game so I'm gonna chill in the room, then head over to the arena. I haven't been here in years so I need time to find my way around."

"Okay, I confirmed everything for you. The BnB is all set up for you to be there Tomorrow at noon."

"Perfect. Thank you for helping me with that. Our flight leaves here at 10 am. Thankfully it's only an hour long."

"Enjoy yourself. I emailed everything to you, but call me if you need me." Chantelle said before they said their goodbyes.

Sabrina's phone alerted her that her driver would be arriving shortly, so she headed to the terminal's pickup and drop-off location. The drive to the hotel took a little over half an hour. Once she arrived at the hotel, she picked up a key at the front desk, since Amir told her he'd have one reserved for her.

Away games were different with Amir than with Nick. When she'd go to Nick's games, Sabrina would fly in on game day, and go straight to the stadium. After the game, she'd fly home and meet him back in LA. If she did stay in town with him, he'd have her at a separate hotel, which made no sense to her, until she found out what he was doing.

Amir never hesitated to tell her that he wanted her to stay in his room with him whenever she wanted to come on the road. He understood it wasn't easy being a single mother, and he knew how hard it was to leave town when the first time Sabrina went somewhere, Niko got hurt and she couldn't get to him as quickly as she needed.

He already knew better than to ask
Sabrina to go anywhere when she had her son. He'd made sure their dates or any of those things would happen when Niko was with his father. He also made sure Sabrina was still close.

Sabrina tapped her key card on the lock and pushed open the door slowly once she heard it click. She was surprised when she walked inside the room and saw Amir standing at the foot of the bed, folding up his clothes. He was dressed to go to the arena.

"I thought you'd be gone already." She said, putting her luggage down. She immediately went over and hugged her man tight. She was so anxious on her walk from the elevator. A trauma response, possibly.

"I leave in thirty." He said, embracing her. "I got you somethin'" he picked up a package and handed it to her.

"You always got me something?" She laughed, looking at it. "What is it?"

"Open it. It's for tonight."

She sat down on the bed and ripped it  open then pulled out something wrapped in tissue paper. She tore the paper open and pulled out a purple and gold jersey. Sabrina's face lit up when she realized what it was. Amir had gotten her a jersey. His jersey. Number 11. On the back read the last name WALKER.

"Thank you!" She squealed in excitement.

"Welcome." He walked over and leaned down to kiss her. "Make sure you cut up for me."

"Get the dub."

"I gotchu." He stuck out his hand. She met it two taps to the backside, one slap to the front, they slid forward, thumbs meeting, pulled back and hooking the middle and ring finger but touching pinky's and index. "Ooooo shit!" He hyped. "Onbro, we just make a handshake?"

Sabrina broke into laughter, "I don't even know how we did that."

"Don't question it. That's our shit from now on." He kissed her on the forehead before pulling back to look at her. "Damn I love yo ass." His thoughts slipped out.

Sabrina froze, registering what he said, before stepping back. Amir gripped her waist, halting her retreat, "Don't run from me." He whispered, wrapping his long arms around her. "Don't act like you ain't already know. I know I wear my heart on my sleeve."

She pouted, as tears filled her eyes. He already knew what was coming. His crybaby. "Uhh uhh. Don't you do it. I gotta go." he hushed her. "My baby." He whispered while kissing her on the head. "I'll see you later."

"Good luck."

He sent her his signature smirk, dimples on full display, "I can't even call this luck, I'm blessed, ma."

Sabrina enjoyed the game, sitting unbothered in her seat, watching her man. She engaged in conversation with some of the other spouses, truly feeling like she belonged there as she learned who was with who. She shied away from the gossip and avoided talking much about herself.

Even with the small amount of doubt she held, the two months she'd known Amir, she still hadn't heard anything bad about him. The man didn't have a negative article or post written about him.

Amir's team won, and he and Sabrina celebrated over pizza in their hotel room. They didn't speak on Amir's confession earlier in the day. They fell asleep cuddled up watching Guardians of the Galaxy.

In the morning, they ordered room service for breakfast and ate before returning to the airport.

As the couple walked to their gate, Amir was approached by a few fans requesting photos. Sabrina was all smiles as she took pictures for them. It made her happy seeing how happy some people were so excited to get an autograph or photo with the NBA star.

"Aspen huh," Amir asked, taking his seat finally seeing where Sabrina was taking him.

"You said you missed the snow "