Chapter 20 - A Light Bulb

"I will shock you..." she used 'Ai' instead of 'I' in her song. Clever.

She wrapped up her morning practice with her band. Just as she was done, she walked backstage. I went in there as well. Her band members gathered around her as Ai guided them.

"Excuse me?" I asked. They all turned. "Yeah?" "I actually need to talk to Ai for a second." I said smiling. She saw the pen and notepad in my hand. "Sure!" She said. Ai walked close and said, "What's your name?"

"I'm Ryoba Aishi from the newspaper club. And I'm supposed to ask you some questions." "Not a problem at all!" She said. She even got to wear makeup. I wish this school didn't have so much restrictions.

I flipped the pages and asked the questions my seniors wrote for me and jotted down her answers. Three questions in, the bell rang. "Sorry, looks like we'll have to do this another time." She said. "Same time today?" She looked puzzled, then nodded. "Sure!"

Now meeting Ai after her morning practice was a routine for me. She barely had time. I had till Friday to write her article and to get rid of her. During lunch she hung out with Senpai on the rooftop while being ogled by by-passers.

"I like being here. You talk to me like...a normal person...and not just an idol." She said. Senpai smiled. "I don't like how people treat you, or give you privacy because you're popular."

She was getting really comfortable with Senpai. "I'll come to your practise today! The one during cleaning time." Her eyes glimmered. "Really? That's great!" It's been two days, but all Ai does is practice and hang out with Senpai.

There is a performance in Friday just for Ai. Since she's a star, she's giving a coming-back performance. That's what she's been practising for. Whenever I see her practice, I day-dream about 150 tonnes falling on top of her and crushing her.

But that's not possible. Or is it? Wait...no it's not.

—————————

It was cleaning time. Ai checked her mic before practice. "Why is this mat wet?" She said. The other girls shrugged. "Maybe because it was cleaning time?" One said. "Could be."

"One, two, three.." the music began. She started to sing her song. "I light up the dark skies, make bright what couldn't be seen.."

The audience of five cheered for her as she sang.
"You've never had a friend like me, Ai's a bright beam..."

"I'm like lightening, my love is electrifying from above..."

"Everyone wants Ai..." she was interrupted by feedback. I stood behind the stage waiting for her to finish. Ai squinted in pain. "Can you check the speakers?" Ai asked the guitarist.

She made her way where I stood. "Can you move?" She turned a few knobs and the song continued.

Wet mat, glitchy speakers, cleaning time.....
maybe something can be done.