Chapter 50 - A Disappearing Van

Sonoko worked till 6pm today. Usually she wraps up around 5pm. But today she spent an extra hour. The gangsters the Yakuza agreed to send arrived at 6pm on the street.

They must be frustrated. On top of that I didn't have any modes to communicate with them. If only we had a telephone in our pockets all the time....

The Yakuza agreed to be a bit generous to me as I gave them a rich girl to extort money from. Let's hope they don't leave too soon. Sonoko finally wrapped things up and dismissed her team. I was hiding behind the bushes of the massive entrance corridor.

Then came she with my Senpai. God, why can't she just leave him alone? I soon followed them after they were far enough from me. They talked and talked until Senpai reached his home and they went their separate ways.

Sonoko then went onwards to the town area. After my poisoning attempt she makes sure to visit my café everyday. Today, I'm sure she was expecting to see me. And guess what? There I was, right behind the counter.

Sonoko's eyes wandered for me, and once she saw me her eyes expanded. Without saying a word, she left. I pretended to search for something on the ground. Curious, my coworker asked, "What's wrong Ryoba?"

"I...I think I lost my watch!" I exclaim. "I need to look for it. Can you please cover for me for a while?" He was confused. "R-right now? I'm busy with billing." "Please!" I let out. "It was my grandma's last gift to me."

I stare at him with lightly watered eyes. Confused and sympathetic, he nodded. I quickly removed my apron and left the cafe. Now my eyes wander for her. After walking a bit, I saw her. I kept my distance.

She walked and was now only five minutes away from her home. Did the Yakuza back off?

I nearly gave up hope. Sonoko was surprisingly calm. Usually she's paranoid and looking around her surroundings. Then, I saw a white van rolling down the street. The driver made eye contact with me and rolled down his window.

He wore a pest control uniform. He clearly looked like a pervert. I tightened my fist just in case. "This her?" He said pointing at Sonoko. My fists loosened. It was the Yakuza! I nodded. Without further ado, they picked up their pace and drove right beside her.

Sonoko turned her face to the left and saw the obviously suspicious van. The door slid open and she was greeted with a bag diving on her face. She screamed, but the man made sure to cover her mouth.

Her arms and legs were going to start fighting as a reflex, but the other men quickly grabbed her limps and dragged her in the van. The door slid back and they drove away. It only took ten seconds.

Man, they sure are efficient.

———————————
A few days ago....

The leader huffed his cigar. He turned his face to the side. "This is a weird deal kid." He let out.

I was standing in front of his desk. His cabin was painted dark red and his carpet matched the colour. His room was poorly lit. His desk had all sorts of clutter scattered. Cigars, ashtrays, files, metal knuckles, and so on.

"I know." I said. "So, we should kidnap her, then you will....rescue her?" He asked confused. "Exactly." I said. He crushed the bud of his nearly finished cigar.

"I've never had a demand like this before. Why go the extra mile and get her kidnapped?" He leaned forward.

"It'll all make sense once everything is done for." I said. He stared at me for a while then threw back in his chair and laughed. "You...you're dangerous. I can see it in your eyes. But...."

Now he stopped laughing and went back to his stern face. "I'll never let you join the Yakuza. It's best if you don't. This life isn't want it's hyped up to be. After this demand of yours, you go your way and I go mine. If I see you lurking around I'll make sure to actually get you beaten up."

I let out a breath. "Okay, I'm fine with it."

_____________________________

I know it's been MORE than a while since my last release. But let me clear out something, I'll make sure to finish the story. I can't promise consistency (duh!) but I can promise an end.