Chapter 53 - A Fateful Night

The journalist adjusted himself in his seat and held the mic close. After checking his mic, he began speaking.

"I had an apprentice. She was very bright, very smart. She really looked up to me. I've taught her everything I know and more. It's been a long time since we've talked, but every once in a while, I check what she's up to. She's doing really well for herself. She became an amazing detective. Just as I expected from her."

For the first time, he sounded happy instead of angry in these tapes. Then, his face dropped. His apprentice was now just a bitter sweet memory for him.

"Anyways, this happened a few days before the may-day. The day when Ryoba presented herself in court. My junior, Sonoko, came to my house. She looked beaten up. Her hair and uniform were tattered and she was clearly crying."

"Without any word, I bought the poor child in my home and sat her down. She was shaking like a leaf. I saw her ankles and wrists. They had circular scars. She also had redness on her temple and cheeks. I knew in one glance- she was kidnapped."

"'How did it happen?' I asked her. She asked how I'd know. Still, she hesitated. I wanted her to reveal who did this to her so I could catch the bastard. But to my surprise, she diverted the conversation to Ryoba."

"I kept on asking, what's the correlation with her and this incident. But she kept on asking if she's really guilty, and what evidence I have that she is a criminal. I told her repeatedly I had a hunch. And that she behaves very suspiciously."

"But she kept on denying my words and kept on asking the same questions. It's like she wanted me to say Ryoba's innocent. I had to be stern with her. I demanded her to tell me what happened."

"She revealed that she was kidnapped by a bunch of thugs. And that she was lucky enough to have someone save her. When I asked, 'Who?' She would hesitate."

"But I didn't want to pressurise the child. She was scared enough. I stopped talking and bought her something to eat. When I came back, she asked, 'It was Ryoba.' I nearly dropped the damn plate."

"How did Ryoba know where she is, when she got kidnapped and miraculously arrived to be her knight in armour? I asked her a thousand questions. I wanted her to see that she was tricked and that Ryoba was the one behind her abduction."

"Sonoko told me that it happened in the same proximity as her cafe. She saw Ryoba stepping out and searching the ground. But she didn't pay much attention to it. After all, their houses had the same directions. Then after getting kidnapped, Ryoba came and untied her."

"She described a scene straight outta some...Jackie Chan type movies! The two girls running, thugs chasing, guns firing. Sonoko kept on saying how grateful she is to Ryoba. And that I should drop his case."

"Sonoko also added that I wasn't wrong about Ryoba liking that boy, but she didn't do the murders. Why was she so blinded by Ryoba? This was the moment I knew - I screwed up. Ryoba took out my last pawn."

"That little brat planned out everything. I could monitor her from afar. I stood outside her school every single day. I made rounds outside her cafe every single day. But I could never know what she was doing inside the school and her home."

"Sonoko had one weakness- she was too sensitive. A journalist should be neutral. They should never be attached emotionally to a case. But she felt sorry for Ryoba. She thought she was innocent and got caught wrongly in a twisted case."

"I tried my best. She wouldn't believe me. She was enchanted by her and her innocent facade. After that night I realised I had to take matters into my own hands. So, I did what I did."