Chapter 10- Illegitimate Child

Following her marriage, Qi Danxia made a trip to visit Qi Niqun. Her dear sister was still wracking her brain to prepare a gift for the empress' birthday celebration. If the gift wasn't grand enough, people might look down on their estate. If the gift was too grand, people might accuse them of flaunting, creating an unpleasant atmosphere.

Although Prince Jing had two sons, none were of his legitimate line. This fueled competition between Qi Niqun and Princess Consort Jing. It's a pity that the empress treated both daughter-in-laws the same, whether their husbands were of the legitimate line or not. Qi Niqun stood at a loss at what to do.

The third prince, Prince Qing, was recently bestowed a marriage with Marquis Beichang's legitimate daughter. The previous generation of Marquis Beichang had his military seized. The current marquis was the Deputy Head of Zhongzheng Temple, in charge of managing the miscellaneous affairs of the nobility. He worked under the current emperor's uncle, Prince Li. Although the Zhongzheng Temple was similar to the Ministry of Rites in role, it wasn't as powerful as the latter. The Deputy Head of Zhongzheng Temple was merely a mid-tier third-rank official. The future third princess consort's identity could not compare to that of Qi Niqun.

Previously, Qi Niqun had come across the future Princess Consort Qing. Her temperament was akin to a hot chili pepper, brash and quick to anger. Marrying into the imperial family might not be to her benefit.

Qi Danxia and the eldest son of the Minister of Revenue, Cheng Lingjun, matched well. Although she was not of the legitimate line, in Count Ziyang's estate her birth mother was second to only the countess in position. Not only that, her maternal grandfather was good friends with Cheng Wenjie, the Minister of Revenue. Qi Danxia's appearance was similar to her birth mother's, a pretty face paired with a curvaceous body. And Cheng Lingjun was a person of the pen. A romantic. After marriage, the couple would maintain a good relationship. For this reason, Qi Danxia had worn a smile the entire day.

As she waited for her sister to arrive in the meeting area, Qi Danxia caught sight of Qi Niqun carrying a toddler into the room. "This little girl, Yan'er, is well behaved. She never gives me trouble. I also hope to have such an obedient daughter in the future."

"If eldest sister says this, the child in your belly will be mad."

A smile blossomed on Qi Niqun's lips. "Maybe it is a girl."

"Eldest sister is a blessed person. The other day my mother-in-law said if I had half your fortune, our estate would be satisfied."

It was clear to Qi Niqun that those were merely words of courtesy. However, she still felt happy.

After a sip of tea, Qi Danxia asked, "What's going on outside?"

The smile on Qi Niqun's face slightly dimmed. "You did not come at a good time. Our third brother is currently moving out of this residence."

Qi Danxia glanced out the window, her smile never faltering. "It slipped my mind that third brother had lived here as well. It's been a while since I've last seen him. Has he been well?"

Qi Niqun glanced at Liubai. The maidservant left the chamber and called for someone to summon Qi Yunruo.

A heatwave had suddenly struck earlier. However, it wasn't time to use ice yet. Qi Yunruo wore thin clothes, body coated in sweat. The moment he had arrived at the parlour, he did not recognize Qi Danxia. In fact, he thought it was another estate's concubine. The only thing contradicting his assumption was her bright red garments. That's when Qi Yunruo realized it was his younger sister, Qi Danxia.

Qi Danxia was younger than Qi Yunruo by a couple months. However, by appearance alone, she seemed older. Her hair was arranged in a Moutan Peony bun. She wore a hairpin showcasing two butterflies playing among a white jade flower, attached by a golden chain. Three smaller flowers sprouted from the side. It looked prettier and flashier than what Qi Niqun wore. Qi Yunruo could not think of what to say upon seeing it.