Chapter 70.1- Helpless

Empress Dowager Lan and Li Chen sat across from one another, tear stains on his face. He was currently under the gazes of everyone. During the day, they kept watch beside the previous emperor's coffin. Come night, he had to start going through the leftover memorials. No one had expected the previous emperor to pass away so suddenly.

The previous emperor had recently felt his body aging and his health declining. He was merely a bit over fifty, but the exhaustion of many years had accumulated. He had long since had trouble getting erect. But the more this was so, the more the previous emperor didn't want to lose to his age. These past few years, he did not stop sleeping with his imperial concubines. So much so that he used medicines to boost his sex drive. With this, he could prove he was still hale and hearty despite his age. Who would have known he would die miserably on top of a young imperial concubine?

The court eunuch who had presented that medicine to the emperor had already been executed. And that imperial concubine would be buried with the previous emperor.  

Wearing a dark green palace robe, Empress Dowager Lan sighed. "Don't tire yourself too much."  

Li Chen said, "Right now, everyone has their eyes on Grandson. Grandson cannot slack off the slightest bit."  

"The Ministry of Rites has scheduled the day of your ascension on the third of the next month. There's still time. Grandmother hasn't aged to the point where I can't see clearly. Don't worry about the matters within the palace. Just leave it to Grandmother."  

"Grandmother..." said Li Chen, choking with emotion. "Grandson should be letting you enjoy a life of happiness with your great-grandchildren. Instead, I'm giving you more work."   

Warmly, Empress Dowager Lan said, "Grandmother knows you are exhausted these days. You can't get results overnight for these things. The empress and her people cannot make any large waves. She wasn't my match when she was young, much less now."

Li Chen nodded, silent.  

But now that the empress was mentioned, Empress Dowager Lan looked at Li Chen with worry. "Once you ascend the throne, what will you do with the people of your estate?"  

With indifference, Li Chen said, "Grandson will help the tertiary consorts find new marriages, and have the crown prince estate prepare their dowries. Secondary Consort Ji and Secondary Consort Wei will be conferred the position of Consort. Ying Qiu will be conferred the position of Imperial Concubine."  

"Then what about Little Qi?"  

Li Chen's gaze fell upon his grandmother. In a calm manner, he said, "I won't let Little Qi leave my side. Little Qi will be our Great State of Kang's empress."  

If it were other people, they would certainly yell "preposterous!" But the one before his eyes was Empress Dowager Lan after all. In the past, she had held up the country for more than ten years. During her reign, many sycophantic officials secretly presented petitions to elect her as a female emperor. Empress Dowager only shook her head with a smile. "This will be too difficult."  

In a low voice, Li Chen said, "Grandson will not choose anyone else to be empress."  

"Mm, Grandmother understands." Her eyes carried a smile, yet she let out a deep sigh.  

When the previous emperor had still been around, his sons could still remain in the capital. Now that he had passed away, Li Chen could spread them all over the country. In the future, their eldest legitimate sons would inherit the noble position of second-ranked prince. If they did not accumulate any merits or achievements, it was very likely their hereditary title would decrease with each generation. Just like what had happened to Li Yue's father; nowadays, he only carried the noble position of marquess.