Chapter 75.2

After Princess Consort Qing’s few days of labor, the rumors in the capital had indeed been suppressed. Qi Yunruo discovered the next day that Empress Dowager Zhou would push for a new emperor during court. He paced back and forth, restless. Although he had confidence in the emperor, he could not suppress the all sorts of worries in his heart. Every day he could not see Li Chen was a day he could not feel at ease.

Following Li Chen’s rise to the throne, most of the guards in the crown prince estate received posts as officials. For example, Qu Qing had been assigned to the Western Mountain Camp, and the leader of the guards at the crown prince estate was now Fang Ge. For the past few days, he accompanied Qi Yunruo all over the estate.    

After Fang Ge had returned from discreetly getting information outside, he said, “I cannot leave the capital right now and cannot contact Qu Qing. Most of the other trusted aides and families loyal to the emperor are being monitored.”

Qi Yunruo nodded. He couldn’t help but think, His Majesty must have prepared something outside the palace. But where would those people be scattered? Would I be able to find them? His Majesty… At that moment, Qi Yunruo’s eyes brightened. “Accompany me to Zhiya House.”   

Fang Ge was startled, but in the end he nodded. “Understood.”  

During the national mourning period, the common people must not marry for one year. The educated middle class must not host banquets and events. However, regular brothels and male brothels alike could still be open to the public. Qi Yunruo changed into a set of inconspicuous clothes and entered Zhiya House looking for Rong Sanniang.  

Rong Sanniang did not ask one question, before bringing him to a hidden room. Waited for him to speak.  

“Sanniang, I know that you are well-informed. I just want to know whether the Zhiya House that you represent and the other powers I’m unaware of are in favor of His Majesty.”  

After a moment of silence, she said, “Since young, the previous emperor had hidden countless spies inside and outside the palace. Not long after the previous emperor passed, these powers shifted their loyalty and devotion to the current emperor.”  

“Currently, the emperor is placed under house arrest,” said Qi Yunruo. “Sanniang, do you have any way of letting me meet with him?” 

A light sigh. “The current situation is dangerous. You should not involve yourself.”  

“Empress Dowager Zhou will choose a new emperor tomorrow. I think something might happen… Sanniang, just tell me. Will the emperor be able to handle this?!”  

“We at Zhiya House are only in charge of finding out news from the bigwigs of the capital,” she said with a complicated gaze. “Regarding the events in the palace, we are not at all knowledgeable. So I can’t tell you anything.”  

For a good while, Qi Yunruo kept quiet. As he prepared to leave, Rong Sanniang suddenly called out to him. Startled, he asked, “Is there something else you want to tell me?”  

“I heard that the emperor wanted to make you his empress.”  

Qi Yunruo nodded.  

She seemed not to know what to say, hesitating. “You need to think about this carefully. This matter has blown up until now that even if His Majesty succeeds, how do you think people would see you? They’d say you brought calamity to the country and its people.”  

“Why should I care how other people view me? I’m willing to be the empress, and His Majesty is also willing. No one can influence our decision.”

Rong Sanniang forced a smile. In Qi Yunruo’s opinion, perhaps she had recalled the previous emperor. Rong Sanniang had never married, maintaining Zhiya House for the previous emperor for many years. However, whether it was her or Shui Linglong, the new emperor would never allow them to be known in public for their contributions to the monarch.   

Fei Pin Ying Qiangजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें