Chapter 15- Those Who Have Left

While Qi Niqun used a servant girl's hand for support, tears clung to her lashes. Once she reached Qi Yunruo's bedside she cried until her sobs could no longer be heard. As she held Qi Yunruo's hand, her voice carried sorrow. "How could this happen?"

Li Chen set aside the empty bowl of medicine. He took his time saying, "The princess consort is far into pregnancy. It's better not to stay so close lest you also get sick. Let's all leave. We should not wake Little Qi up."

"Yes," said Qi Niqun. At first, she waited for Li Chen to take the initiative to support her outside. But Li Chen left by himself. Her heart tightened at that moment, and as she shifted her gaze toward Qi Yunruo, her eyes flashed with ill will.

Qi Niqun followed Li Chen outside to the outer study. Sat down on a chair. Li Chen asked, "Does the princess consort know what caused this situation?"

"It was this concubine's fault. Younger brother was too stubborn and did not allow this concubine to interfere. This concubine listened to what he had said and did as told. From the start, that Consort Ji was not a person easy to communicate with. This concubine should not have-"

"How does the princess consort think this situation should be resolved?" Li Chen interrupted her somewhat impatiently.

QI Niqun sat there, shocked. Then she said, "This concubine feels that Consort Ji and my younger brother are both to blame. As people who live together in the same household, fighting too much isn't good."

Li Chen grunted in acknowledgment.

"How will Your Highness handle what had occurred?"

Li Chen responded by calling for Su Ge. Ordered Su Ge to report every detail he had been privy to. Following that, both Su Ge and Lulan described all of Qi Yunruo's actions and all of Eunuch Xia's words. Then Li Chen glanced at Qi Niqun.

"This sly slave. How dare he insult his master?" said Qi Niqun. "To lie and hide the truth from his superiors, even if he were beaten to death it wouldn't be enough."

Li Chen said, "In the estate, currently the princess consort and Consort Wei are with child. They cannot do or see any violent things for this reason, lest we bring forth bad fortune. Su Ge, have that Eunuch Xia receive twenty strikes of the rod. Afterward, send him to Taipu Temple to feed the horses."

"This slave will do as commanded."

Li Chen rubbed his forehead. For a moment, Qi Niqun was rendered speechless, and she sat there awkwardly.

Since the beginning, Li Chen did not believe a lick of Consort Ji's words. This was because Li Chen understood Ji Ru's nature to an immense degree. She was a person that would never let herself be truly wronged. The wrongs that she had received would be given back to the other party tenfold. Once Li Chen saw her impoverished costume and pitiful actions, his heart only felt full of helplessness. Sometimes, in the eyes of those types of women, he was merely someone unaware of the full details of a situation and unable to discern truth or lie from their words. A person not too difficult to manipulate. He just needed to listen to what they said and to act for them. That would be enough.

"The princess consort should return and rest," said Li Chen. "You have already yielded the power to manage the household, so naturally you do not have to concern yourself with every matter. You are blameless here."

"This concubine thanks Your Highness for showing consideration," said Qi Niqun, sounding as if she were sobbing through her words.

Patting her hand once, Li Chen called for someone to send her back to Winter Plum Courtyard.

After a while, Su Ge rushed over. His words were soft. "Your Highness, the things that are to be rewarded to Consort Ji..."

Li Chen calmly said, "Reward them."