Chapter 58.2

Empress Dowager Lan only looked at the amethyst adorning her head. In an unhurried pace, she asked, “What did the prince say?”  

Qi Niqun dropped her head, starting to hesitate as she said, “His Highness… His Highness has been bewitched by Granddaughter-in-law’s illegitimate younger brother. At present, he does not want to listen to my words. Currently, Granddaughter-in-law merely wants to preserve the glory of our prince estate. But my younger illegitimate brother only wants money and material things. He doesn’t consider His Highness’ current difficult situation. We cannot bear such disturbances again. Previously, His Highness moved Eldest Young Master to the forecourt, and now he lives with Granddaughter-in-law’s younger illegitimate brother…”  

Empress Dowager Lan grunted her acknowledgement, nodding.  

Qi Niqun clenched her teeth. “Empress Dowager, Granddaughter-in-law truly doesn’t know what to do anymore, and could only come and request your honored self to act for me. Once the situation calms down, Granddaughter-in-law is willing to return all those things. It’s just that at the current period…”

Yunbing, Empress Dowager Lan’s personal high-ranked and older maidservant, suddenly said, “Isn’t that the purple Chinese peony dangling hair ornament that Your Majesty the empress dowager had worn in the past?”  

At that moment, shock collided into Qi Niqun. She widened her eyes in disbelief.  

Yunbing laughed. “Just a while ago, this old slave found it familiar. This old slave should not be mistaken, and remembers that Your Majesty had worn it before. When His Majesty saw it, he asked for it. In the end, this old slave did not see any of the imperial concubines wearing it… Could it be that His Majesty bestowed it to Count Ziyang?”  

Empress Dowager Lan did not respond, merely giving a light laugh.  

Qi Niqun’s eyes moved aimlessly, as if she had realized something. Yesterday, her mother and that cheap thing Qi Yunruo said the emperor had sent Shui Linglong to her father. Could it be that the emperor had bestowed this dangling hair ornament to Shui Linglong? She said, “Your Majesty…”  

“When it comes down to it, these are the private matters of your family. What could you husband and wife not say openly to each other? I’m afraid the more an old lady like me says, the messier things would become. The prince isn’t someone devoid of sense. Mm… This grieving one will summon him to the palace in the afternoon and ask him.”  

But Qi Niqun’s heart had long since grown chaotic. She felt like the dangling hair ornament by her temple clearly made her lose face. She wringed her handkerchief. Regretted that she wore this dangling hair ornament outside. And she also feared that the prince would grow more angry if he discovered she had visited the empress dowager. Right now, she hated the fact that she couldn’t tear Qi Yunruo to pieces. It was all his fault! Why did the prince just have to help him?! She herself was the prince’s main consort! Shouldn’t the prince help her instead?

Empress Dowager Lan did not have the intention to keep talking. Qi Niqun could only rise to her feet and salute. “Granddaughter-in-law will return.”  

Empress Dowager Lan nodded. After Qi Niqun had left, and Yunbing had sent her off, a light sigh escaped her lips. Empress Dowager Lan’s expression spoke of slight interest. “Could it be that Chen’er truly loves someone?”  

Yunbing frowned. “But if a scandal about the dowry comes out now, one would fear it would truly be unfavorable for His Highness Prince Chun.”

“Ai,” said Empress Dowager Lan, waving dismissively. “Chen’er would know what to do.”