Chapter 18.2

The current emperor was the prior emperor's only legitimate son. The current emperor's closest uncles and their households had been reduced to civilians. As such, there were only distant members of the imperial line left. The closest relative of the imperial line's side branch was Prince Li. Back then, Li Chen's great-grandfather did not favor him, nor did Prince Li have ambition. Nowadays, he supervised Zongzheng Temple.

Of those members of the imperial clan that still remained were the prince consorts of the princesses and the noble relatives with titles that decreased in power every generation. For example, Marquis Jingchuan, Li Su. His ancestors settled in Jiangnan. In the past, the head of the household was a first-ranked prince. Now they were a marquis household. Perhaps Jiangnan truly was a place that supported people well, for Li Su was full and round. His first two sons were like as Li Yue had described: round as pearls and smooth like jade. When the whole family gathered, Li Yue looked like he had been adopted.

Li Yue did not know that his father would personally arrive at the capital. His face showcased his awkwardness. Li Su was extremely fat and did not throw a fuss at him. Rather, his brothers surrounded him and blasted him with questions, mostly about the circumstances in the capital.

Marquis Jingchuan was wealthy. They had a mansion in the capital. But Li Yue was unwilling to move there, preferring to stay at Prince Chun's estate. Li Su always used to nag him about it until his ears rang. This time, whether it was because his father was annoyed at him, Li Su did not ask Li Yue to stay at their mansion.

Once Li Chen arrived at the emperor's main chamber, the emperor directly gestured him over. He flashed Li Chen a smile. "Previously, the people from your estate had reported that We received an additional granddaughter."

The people around Li Chen all congratulated him. The only imperial granddaughters came from Prince Chun's estate. Prince Jing said, "Second Brother is fortunate. I only have two naughty sons."

Li Chen smiled. "Elder Brother is still young. There will still be a chance for more children."

One hand tugging his beard softly, the emperor broke into another smile. "This child was born on the first day of the lunar new year. At the start of the new year is when the whole family reunites. Good. We will bestow her a name. 'Chu,' meaning first."

Li Chen knelt on the floor. He respectfully said, "Son-Official thanks Your Majesty for the bestowment of a name."

Li Chen's second daughter Chu'er was Prince Chun's legitimate daughter. In the future, she would be a Princess of the Third Rank. And as such, the imperial palace would spare no effort in rewarding her. Once Li Chen returned to his estate, the infant had already been washed and clothed, soundly asleep.

Li Chen took in the image of the infant, spending a while as he did so. Then went to see Qi Niqun.

Her exhaustion was apparent. She forced herself to speak with Li Chen.

"This child was born at a good time," Li Chen said. "Imperial Father immediately bestowed her a name. It is indeed fortunate."

Yet, Qi Niqun felt sour in her heart. Found the situation hard to endure. She forced a smile. "This concubine thanks His Majesty for his grace."

"Go and rest. There's no need to waste energy mulling over the possibilities." Li Chen helped pull the covers over her body, instructed people to take care of her. Before he left, he said, "The princess consort should not think too much."

Shock crashed into Qi Niqun's form, hard and forceful like a tidal wave. Even after Li Chen had left, she continued to hold in her unwillingness in accepting her situation, biting her lips until nearly drawing blood.