Chapter 32- Qingzhi Lane

“Young Master… Young Master…” The woman stared at Qi Yunruo, sobbing to the point where she couldn’t speak.

A few guards shared a look. Qi Yunruo softly said, “Big Sis Yuanyuan. It’s you, Big Sis Yuanyuan…”

The door to the quarters stood halfway open. Li Chen, who was sitting down within, watched as Qi Yunruo went to that woman’s side, dropping to a half kneel, throwing his arms around her. 

Qi Yunruo rested his head on her shoulder in a natural manner. He gritted his teeth, but due to his shaking, the sound of teeth clattering could be heard. “Big Sis Yuanyuan, it’s been so many years. Have you been here all this time?”

The woman returned his embrace. She recalled when she had held the seven-year-old child who had just lost his mother many years ago. The nine years that had been lost since then seemed far away. The woman did not have a surname. After she had left the capital, she took the one of her previous master. After she had taken up permanent residence in Yushu Pass, she called herself Shui Yuanyuan.

Shui Yuanyuan had still been a maiden when she left Qi Yunruo’s side. Now she was a young wife with three children. She reached out and helped support the youth to his feet. Wiped clean the tears. Gently, she said, “The gods have eyes. They let me encounter Young Master again. Young Master should not cry. That we have met is a good thing.”

At the door, Li Chen called for the guards. Two tall and largely-built men helped support the two people into the house. Somewhat in a panic, Qi Yunruo shot a glance at Li Chen. Li Chen returned his gaze and smiled reassuringly. “Bring her in, Little Qi.”

At this moment, several thoughts flew through Shui Yuanyuan’s mind as she looked at Qi Yunruo. Why was Young Master here? Wasn’t that His Highness, Prince Chun, inside? Could it be…? Her heart froze.  

Qi Yunruo led Shui Yuanyuan by the hand inside the house. Li Chen was already fully dressed and sat on a chair. Shui Yuanyuan, without the slightest hint of fear, performed the full ceremony of greeting in a generous manner. “Martial-Official’s wife Shui Yuanyuan greets Prince Chun. Long live Prince Chun.”

Li Chen studied her. From her act of ceremony and posture, he was certain she came from the capital. He glanced at Qi Yunruo, whose eyes were red. “This mistress is a wife of a military family?”

“That is correct,” said Shui Yuanyuan. “This one’s husband is a duwei stationed in Yushu Pass. A military official of the sixth rank.”

A slight smile spread across Li Chen’s lips. “Apologies for the lack of manners, but which duwei is that?”  

“This one’s husband is named Dong Cheng.”

Shocked, Qi Yunruo said, “Is that Brother A’cheng? Big Sis Yuanyuan, you married Brother A’cheng?”

Shui Yuanyuan flashed a smile his way. Then she turned to Li Chen, her gaze one of scrutiny.

Li Chen said to Qi Yunruo, “You two can have a good chat here. I will step out.”  

Qi Yunruo looked at him and blurted, “Your Highness, you must not go outside. Your wounds have yet to heal and you haven’t had breakfast.” 

Yet Li Chen only smiled once more. He shook his head. “I’m going to see Qu Qing. It’s just a few steps away. After taking a nap I don’t feel like the injuries are too serious anymore, so don’t be so worried.”

Qi Yunruo furrowed his brows. But Li Chen patted his shoulder, before passing by him as he left.  

After he had stepped through the door, Shui Yuanyuan no longer hid her concern. “Young Master, the border isn’t like the capital. There are many dangers… For what reason is your honored self by Prince Chun’s side?”