Chapter 66.2

On the side, Jing’er approached Consort Wei and saluted her. “Jing’er greets Secondary Consort Wei.”    

A smile graced Consort Wei’s lips. “If Jing’er has the time, come visit your Second Brother more. He’s in his active age. Very lively. With a bright elder brother like you accompanying him, I feel more at ease.”  

To which Jing’er smiled. “I will come see Younger Brother.”  

Once Jing’er had met and greeted everyone, he made his way toward the princess consort. “Jing’er asks to be excused, Mother. Father is waiting for Jing’er at the forecourt.”  

Qi Niqun nodded, not paying him any attention. And she did not notice Consort Ji following him out in secret either.  

Because Qi Yunruo did not want Consort Ji to bring Jing’er to Frost Autumn Courtyard, he had a little greenhouse tidied up for the two to meet. He had waited at the door until now for Jing’er. Jing’er ran into his embrace, and Qi Yunruo smiled. “You’ve gotten a lot heavier. I almost can’t lift you up anymore.”    

In his arms, Jing’er twisted around. Qi Yunruo said gently, “Were you wronged just now?”  

“No,” said Jing’er, voice muffled. “I just found it very strange and didn’t feel comfortable…” It hadn’t just been Consort Ji and her mother’s gazes that were strange. Too many people had looked at him in a very odd manner. Before he could finish speaking, Qi Yunruo caught sight of Consort Ji rushing over with the support of her maidservant, Pei’er.  

Qi Yunruo sighed. “Jing’er, your birth mother wants to speak privately with you today. I’ll be waiting here, and you’ll go in. Is that alright?”  

A trace of alarm flashed through Jing’er’s eyes. But Qi Yunruo smiled as he said, “I’ll just be outside. Nothing will happen.”  

Jing’er nodded. Consort Ji, who rushed over, did not even greet Qi Yunruo, merely grabbing Jing’er by the hand and entering the room.  

Consort Ji wasn’t very up to date with the matters happening outside the estate. However, after the people around her kept talking about it, she finally learned of everything. It turned out that His Highness’ influence had been growing greater and greater, keeping the other imperial princes under control. If there was a legitimate son, he would be the heir. If there was no legitimate son, the eldest son would be the heir. If the princess consort never gave birth to a legitimate son, then didn’t that mean her own son could become the heir of the prince?    

She was so excited that she trembled, heart pounding. The same thought coursed through her mind over and over: It doesn’t look like the princess consort and His Highness will keep trying for a legitimate son. Second Young Master is still young, yet my own son has already started his studies. He’s been living with His Highness all this time, and they definitely share a deep bond… However, there was a large problem before her. If Jing’er did not return to her side, then he would start to forget her, his birth mother, more and more. Then what’s to be done? Consort Ji resented Li Chen for taking away her son. She always found letting her son and a male pet live together an extremely poor decision. “Staying close to red makes one red. Staying close to black makes one black.” If her son didn’t grow up properly, it would be all Qi Yunruo’s fault.   

After Consort Ji had heard those words of Consort Wei, she went to beg Qi Yunruo to see her son. Again and again. Although it was difficult to bear, she had no choice but to admit that this tactic actually worked: Qi Yunruo had truly spoken to the prince, and the prince permitted it. As long as she could persuade Jing’er to recognize her as his mother and trust her, his birth mother, even more…