Chapter 11- Lakeside View House

When Ji Ru had first entered the Second Imperial Prince's estate, her father was still a small official in the Ministry of Revenue, a position called Yuan Wailang. Because the rank was so low, his words did not hold much weight, and Ji Ru's identity consequently wasn't high. However, she was still a secondary consort in Prince Chun's estate.

Back then, the tertiary consorts had yet to enter the estate, only a few low-ranking concubines and personal attendants around including her. Ji Ru was even able to grasp the privilege to manage the estate with her hands. Not to mention, she and Li Chen once shared a period of mutual joy. As such, Ji Ru had sometimes felt like she wasn't any different from a main consort.

But life was not without setbacks. Later, once Tertiary Consort Li had received the prince's affections and became with child, Ji Ru worried that after she herself gave birth, the prince would be allured by those other beautiful tertiary consorts. It so happened that one of her servants discovered something interesting: the prince had visited a man in South Reedpipe Pavilion, a well-known pleasure house. After that, an idea formed in Ji Ru's mind.

She would have her eldest brother enter the estate as a guest.

However, never had she thought Prince Chun would favor Ji Huan to that extent! A single Ji Huan took away half of his affections!

When it rained, it poured. Shortly after, Secondary Consort Wei entered the estate. She was a literate person and very knowledgeable about many topics. She also had a noble temperament. After just one year of living in the estate, she was already in the position to compete against Consort Ji. Later on, once Qi Niqun married in, Ji Ru felt the difference between a main consort and a secondary consort. In front of the main consort, she was as lowly as dirt.

But the more she felt this way, the less she wanted to submit to Qi Niqun. She just needed to gain the prince's favor again, like she had done so a few years ago. Then she could compete with her.

"So eldest brother is unwilling to assist me..."

"When it comes to love, one cannot force it."

Cold as ice, Ji Ru said, "Next year, I hope eldest brother will be one of the top exam takers."

"Thank you for the kind wish."

As Ji Ru watched Ji Huan leave without a word, vicious thoughts formed in her heart. He knew the reason for his birth mother's death. He was also talented enough to be one of the top exam takers. Not only that, he possessed the prince's interest and love. With him around, her full-blooded brothers didn't stand a chance.

Ji Huan... Qi Yunruo!

A sinister smile slid its way across Ji Ru's face.

In the house across from Consort Ji's, Consort Wei watched Ji Huan's departing figure. A light yawn escaped her lips. "Consort Ji is starting to worry."

Her maidservant Little Qiao said, "These days, His Highness does not want to see her. If the princess consort gives birth to a son, her son would become irrelevant."

"Whether the prince is fond of Young Master Ji Huan or not, it does not concern the affairs of us women. Consort Ji is stupid, and has now been pushed to this point."

Little Qiao smiled. "After managing the estate for three years, Consort Ji has grown a large ego."

Consort Wei held the jade handle of a green and silver threaded fan embroidered with mandarin ducks, lightly fanning herself. She laughed and shook her head as she left the window. Stroking her abdomen, she said, "Tonight, tell the kitchen to send another plate of this sour radish."

"It has been already done," Little Qiao said with a smile.

As the Mid-Autumn Festival drew near, Qi Niqun's pregnancy symptoms progressively increased, her abdomen more conspicuous than ever. Even if she were reluctant, she knew in her heart that it was getting harder for her to manage the estate. In order to maintain a good relationship with those families friendly with the prince estate, Qi Niqun, as the prince estate's princess consort and female master, must arrange many functions for those families to attend. She must also be there to oversee the events and act as the hospitable hostess. Even those families that weren't as noble, she must still form a connection with them. Not only that, she had to supervise the supervisors of the hundreds of servants in the estate. And she had to bribe those supervisors to her side. Those who weren't obedient would be kicked aside. Those who were obedient would be boosted up the ladder of hierarchy.