Chapter 74.1- Detained

The previous emperor had not conferred Qi Niqun the position of crown princess. The current emperor did not confer her the position of empress. As such, the mood at Count Ziyang’s estate proved gloomy. When Hanlin Academician Zhao paid a visit, Count Ziyang wore an expression of exhaustion. Whether or not he had heard the other man’s words was anyone’s guess.   

Hanlin Academician Zhao said again, “Count, if His Majesty truly does what he wants, it will make a huge joke out of our Great State of Kang. This humble official cannot persuade your illegitimate son. However, this humble official feels you may not want to use this method to become the imperial father-in-law.”  

“You people have already gone to the crown prince estate?” asked Qi Suxiao.  

Hanlin Academician Zhao nodded. “Yes.”  

Qi Suxiao glanced at him, eyes bloodshot. A moment later, he yawned. “I can’t handle this matter.”  

Such an action startled the other party. Then he said, “Count—”  

“Why has Sir Zhao come?” said Qi Suxiao in a cold voice. “Indeed, I can earnestly advise His Majesty to not establish my son as the empress. I can also find Qi Yunruo and tell him if he had honor and shame to not enter the palace! But why should I agree to do this if you tell me to? How does this benefit me?” 

“T-t-that…” Then Hanlin Academician Zhao said with rage, “Even though there’s no benefit, we are still the subjects of Great Kang. If we just watch on as the emperor does such a thing, we will lose all of our face.”    

“Hanlin Academician Zhao! You find this shameful but I do not… Send our guest off!”

Just these few words? Hanlin Academician Zhao stood up in a daze. He was a scholar, and naturally did not have thick enough skin to remain when the host told him to leave. He could only ruthlessly throw his sleeve before withdrawing. He couldn’t help but think that Count Ziyang truly was like the rumors said, caring about nothing and only enjoying himself and playing with women. Halfway on the road, a servant girl suddenly approached him and curtsied. “Sir Zhao, Mistress asks you to remain.”  

Puzzled, Hanlin Academician Zhao said, “Your mistress…”  

“This way please, Hanlin Academician Zhao. Just now, Mistress was behind the main hall, and overheard your words. She deeply agreed with what you said. The count is unwilling to handle this matter. But Mistress doesn’t want… that person to tarnish the reputation of our estate. Therefore, she asks that you stay and discuss with her.”  

The Palace of Bright Sun. 

Empress Dowager Zhou’s gaze fell upon Prince Jing. “This grieving one doesn’t really understand what you mean.”   

Prince Jing smiled. “It’s not that Imperial Mother doesn’t understand. It’s that Imperial Mother does not trust Son-Official.”  

Empress Dowager Zhou glanced at the palace maid by her side. To which that palace maid nodded and had the entire palace secured, before standing at the door. Inside, there were only Empress Dowager Zhou and Prince Jing present.  

“Imperial Mother, at present, the emperor has not made a single move. But this does not represent that he has forgotten his grudge from the time we all attacked him in Martial Hero Hall. Perhaps he is waiting until the national mourning period is over before acting.”  

“When all is said and done, this grieving one is the emperor’s birth mother. And Prince Yong is his only full-blooded younger brother.” What she meant was that should the emperor retaliate, it wouldn’t be her and her son’s turns just yet.