Chapter 30- Night Raid

A man wearing a white robe embroidered with dark dragons left a tent meant for the Qiang people’s royalty. With a flick of a wrist, the folded fan in his hand unfurled, and he fanned himself with it. He seemed like an unrestrained and excellent young master of the current age. He looked to be in his twenties, and with one glance, it seemed he was of Han descent. In this capital city of the Qiang people, where the royalty lived, he seemed thinner, weaker, and frailer than the Qiang people around. But on his face was a calm and lofty smile. As if he were ignoring how the Qiang people were staring at him, like a tiger eyeing its prey. His attendant smiled lightly. “Your Highness has taken a huge benefit from the Qiang people. Your Highness should not keep up such an expression, lest they grow furious.”

“Oh my, over there in that direction. Princess Changping is playing the guqin again,” said the man, closing his eyes. From his brows, it was evident that he was enjoying the music. “Let’s go visit the princess.”

This man was the guest of Princess Changping, Li Yao. However, each time he came, he only sat outside to listen quietly to the guqin. He rarely bothered her with conversation.

Yet this time, as the man had just sat down, he heard the voice of a woman from inside. “King Cheng, you’re here.”

The man rose to his feet. Folded his fan. With a smile, he met his palm with his fist. “Hopefully I did not disturb your mood for playing the guqin.”

The fingers of the woman inside the room strayed across the strings. She slowly said, “King Cheng’s skill in the guqin is deep and immense. As such, Changping does not continue playing out of embarrassment.” 

The man smiled. “Princess is too modest. Once I heard the sound of your guqin, I cannot forget it. After more than twenty years in this world, I have not found a single person that can compare to you.”  

Beyond the curtain concealing the doorway rang a song, “Goose Falling From the Sky to Pingsha.” The man sat down again. Closed his eyes to listen. He felt as if before his eyes had suddenly appeared vast dunes of yellow sand, wild geese circling the sky in search for something. At that moment, a period of sad cries. Then the heavy winds ceased. The sound of the guqin seemed far away. The wild geese had left for the south, all around white.

After the song ended, the man let out a long sigh. Only after a long while could he calm his heart.

The woman in the room appeared like she had before, playing the guqin casually with no motive or song in mind. A moment later, she said, “Wang’er, come pour some tea for His Highness.” 

In the northwest region, tea leaves were more valuable than gold. Even though he was the king of a country and had many treasures, these tea leaves that he loved so much were so rare in his country. However, Li Yao’s dowry contained many crates of various tea leaves. After many years, the scent and taste were still fresh. 

The two sat separately, taking in the fragrant scent and taste. Not a word left their lips.

After finishing one cup of tea, the man rose to his feet. “Many thanks to the princess for the generous hospitality. I don’t have anything valuable on me. The only thing I can give you is this piece of news as a reciprocatory gift.” He paused. After he heard the sound of the guqin cease from inside the room, he smiled. “Your Second Brother, His Highness Prince Chun, is currently at Yushu Pass.”

Then he stood again. He stared at the curtain that was blocking his view from the inside, toward the beautiful silhouette behind it. “I’ll take my leave.”

Beyond the curtain, Li Yao’s expression remained neutral.  

Wang’er knelt by her side, a smile of surprise and joy on her face. “Princess, did your honored self hear that? The Second Imperial Prince is coming to take your honored self back home.”