Chapter 59.2

Actually, after Li Chen had caught sight of Qi Yunruo copying the gift lists, he already knew the identity of the person behind Si De. Recently, he had sent many people to investigate the actions of his brothers who had already established their own estates. And he discovered only his eldest brother had been dispatching people outside his estate again and again. In the suburbs of the capital, he was raising men.

Li Chen said with indifference, “Three years ago, Eldest Brother’s secondary consort, Miss Liu, gave birth to his second son. That Secondary Consort Liu had a humble background. In fact, she was promoted to a secondary consort because of this meritorious deed of giving birth to a son. However, her background was not bad, and she could be considered a pretty daughter of a well-off commoner family,” said Li Chen, recalling the life history of that Secondary Consort Liu. “She’s someone born and raised in the capital. And her age is similar to the daughter of Si De who had died prematurely.”  

Qi Yunruo said, “The Liu family had picked up that little girl and raised her themselves.”  

Li Chen nodded. “Afterward, once Si De found out about this girl, Eldest Brother seized the opportunity to form a connection with him. And he became the new master of Si De.”  

“But we don’t have any proof… The Liu family… Let’s investigate the Liu family!”  

Li Chen fell silent for a good while. Then he said, “There’s already been some news from the northwest.”  

Prince Chun’s estate sent out people in three directions to investigate: the northwest, the capital, and the Si estate. Li Chen patted his cheek. “Tomorrow, just enjoy the banquet. You don’t have to concern yourself with these matters anymore.”    

Qi Yunruo nodded, smiling in a calm manner as he looked at Li Chen.  

At night, they held each other as they slept. All of a sudden, Qi Yunruo sighed. “Your Highness, why hasn’t His Majesty conferred you the title of crown prince yet?”

Li Chen bowed his head to look at him. Serious, Qi Yunruo said, “I really don’t understand. Your honored self is the eldest legitimate son and has always been virtuous. Why does he keep delaying it?”  

A smile graced Li Chen’s lips. “Why does it have to me?”  

Qi Yunruo pursed his lips. A moment later, he asked, “If not your honored self, then who else?”  

Li Chen remembered that he had always blindly held confidence in him, and smiled as he shook his head.

But Qi Yunruo added, “It’s precisely because His Majesty did not choose a crown prince that the other princes have long since treated you as a target. They can’t bear to see you make worthy contributions, can’t bear to see the emperor bestow you things. All along, everyone has been targeting you.”  

In an unhurried pace, Li Chen said, “Even if I were conferred the position of crown prince, I’d still be their target.”  

“However, if your honored self was the crown prince, then everything you do is perfectly legitimate. Your honored self’s position would be higher than those princes’, and you could handle them.”  

Little Qi was always able to see through things clearly. Li Chen rubbed a finger against the other’s cheek.

Then Qi Yunruo sighed again. “Your Highness, at present, your honored self is only a Prince of the First Rank. After giving such a contribution, you were framed. In the future, if one of your brothers ascends the throne, he won’t let you live.” 

“I won’t lose.” He pulled him to his chest in a tight embrace, a smile on his face. However, in his eyes existed a chill. “Little Qi, that day will never come.”