Chapter 19- The Human Market

Despite giving birth to a daughter, Qi Niqun still expended all her mental and physical efforts on her first born child.

Now that Tertiary Consort Li's daughter, Yan'er, was a little over a year old, she was learning how to speak. Qi Niqun moved her to the two-house suite used by Qi Yunruo in the past, with two proper older female servants added to the staff. Her own child, Chu'er, lived in a chamber to the side of her own. The newborn had two designated nursemaids, surnamed Wang and Song. Both were people Qi Niqun trusted.

As Chu'er grew older, more and more people would be required to attend to her. And Qi Niqun was unwilling to use people from outside the household. Instead, she opted for the children born of the estate's maidservant and page pairs, those who were three to four years old. And she chose the four most clever and pleasing to the eye for her own, for the older female servants to train.

That said, Qi Niqun did not, for the sake of taking care of her daughter, neglect Yan'er. In fact, she added more people to attend to Jing'er and Yan'er as well. Afterward, it struck her that there existed a shortage of servants in the household. In the six years Li Chen had had his own estate, other than the servants who had followed him from the imperial palace, there were people that the Ministry of Ceremonies had sent and people that Su Ge had purchased from the outside. The servants were separated into three groups, and the members of these groups were divided by status. The first group held actual ranks and were the smallest in number. The second group took up the majority. The third group was designated for hard labor. It consisted of low-ranking servant girls, such as Xiao Shan and Xiao Jiu, who had been appointed to Qi Yunruo in the beginning.  

After Qi Niqun brought up this issue to Li Chen, the latter smiled. "The princess consort needs not worry about this. Just have Su Ge take care of it."

His words caused her slight confusion. She knew not why Li Chen had put his hand into this matter. However, neither could she ask him for an explanation. A smile blooming on her lips, Qi Niqun said, "With Eunuch Su Ge around, this concubine will feel at ease."

A few days later, as Qi Yunruo practiced calligraphy in his residence, a knock sounded at the door to his main chamber. He lifted his head. Caught sight of Eunuch Fengyuan.  

"Follow me, Little Qi."  

Qi Yunruo set the brush down, eyes flashing with curiosity. "What is it?"  

In a mysterious manner, Fengyuan said, "I'm taking you out to play."

Qi Yunruo sat there, shocked. By the time he snapped out of it, Fengyuan had already turned to Lulan. "Help your master into inconspicuous clothes and make sure he has some pocket money."

Fengyuan was a person belonging to Ink Lotus Courtyard. As such, Lulan did not feel concerned. Yet, as she led Qi Yunruo away to change clothes, Liusu asked, "Why did Eunuch Fengyuan look for our young master?"  

Fengyuan sat down, taking a sip of tea. "Anyway, it's not something that will harm him."

Shortly after, Qi Yunruo returned fully dressed in robes a shade of sapphire. One look, and it was apparent they weren't new. Fengyuan nodded. "Not bad. Now come with me."  

Following Fengyuan outside, Qi Yunruo asked, "Where are we going?"

Fengyuan pulled out a form signed by Su Ge at the stables and took out five horse-drawn carriages. He shared one with Qi Yunruo, leaving the estate through the side doors. The five carriages were driven by guards dressed in the manner of servants. As they rode, Fengyuan pointed to each of the drivers. "These are the guards from His Highness' residence. The one closest to us is surnamed Liu. The one second closest to us is surnamed Fang..."