Chapter 72.1- No Regrets

The Palace of Bright Sun.  

Li Chen pointed to a region on a map. "The coastal region of Jiadong has a pleasant climate and abundant natural resources. We have prepared an estate there for Fourth Brother. What does Imperial Mother think?"  

With an ashen complexion, Empress Dowager Zhou said, "Jiadong is barren! And the coast just has fishing villages. What's good about this? Xu'er is your full-blooded younger brother, yet you put him in such a place!"  

With a normal expression, Li Chen said, "Then where has Imperial Mother taken a fancy to?"  

"Liaoning Province," she replied, not thinking it over.  

A smile spread across Li Chen's lips. "Imperial Mother, Liaoning Province will make for an easy and comfortable living. One would fear it would make him lazy."

"There are pirates in Jiadong. One does not have a comfortable and easy living there, but if those pirates act recklessly and go ashore, what's to be done for your Fourth Brother?"   

"Fourth Brother is well read. He can teach the common people."  

The heart of Empress Dowager Zhou chilled. After hearing those words, she recalled when Cheng Sijie had led Xu'er astray in the northwest. But even the previous emperor did not punish Xu'er. Now, the current emperor wants to settle old accounts? But who didn't scheme to get their hands on the position of crown prince? Xu'er had already lost the struggle for the throne. So why was the emperor unwilling to give him a way to survive? However, if the emperor started to act against his brothers not long after the previous emperor had died, Empress Dowager Zhou wouldn't watch on helplessly as it happened.  

Li Chen watched Empress Dowager Zhou, waiting for her response like before. She coughed lightly. Said, "We can talk about this later. Emperor, you don't have an empress at the moment. There is no one to manage the imperial harem. Although it's still during the national mourning period, it's fine if you choose a young miss for marriage after this period."  

Li Chen glanced at her. Smiled. "Which young miss has Imperial Mother taken a fancy to?"  

"There isn't anyone appropriate by your side. This grieving one is always worried. Your maternal grandfather's household has a young girl, fifteen years old. It's the best age. This girl is sweet-tempered and virtuous, with a magnanimous bearing. She is an appropriate pick for an empress. If you think she is suitable, she will come and pay respects to this grieving one on another day. Just have a look at her. In two months, your mourning period will end, and we can bring her into the palace."  

In a dull manner, Li Chen said, "Fourth Brother doesn't have enough children. The family of his princess consort gave birth to such a vermin like Su Yuan. It's clear the Su family's teachings are poor. Since the Zhou family's daughter is sweet-tempered and virtuous, We will pass on an imperial decree soon to make her Fourth Brother's secondary consort. Once the national mourning period is over, they must go to Jiadong immediately."  

Empress Dowager Zhou's complexion darkened again.  

"We won't hide it from Imperial Mother. We have already decided on an empress."  

"Oh? Then which of your secondary consorts is it? Or is it a well-bred young lady from another family?" She already knew that the Lan family had a maiden of marriageable age. If the emperor chose someone from that family as his empress, wouldn't he be even more close to the Lan family? Then, before she died, the Zhou family would fall.  

Indifferent, Li Chen said, "Regarding this matter, Grandmother has already agreed."  

Empress Dowager Zhou's heart tightened. Sure enough, it had something to do with the grand empress dowager! If the other party wasn't there, then she herself could borrow the excuse of filial piety to make a request from the emperor. However, in the presence of the grand empress dowager, she was a daughter-in-law after all, and must follow her mother-in-law's wishes! A moment later, Empress Dowager Zhou asked, "Which young lady of the Lan family is it? Bring her to the palace on another day. Imperial Mother will have a look at her to see if she's suitable."