Chapter 53.1- If You Love Someone, Then Let Them Go (II)

Li Xiuqi packed up his brushes and ink. As he was preparing to take a break, he suddenly heard a knock at the door. Someone said from outside, “Brother Li, are you sleeping? It’s me.”

Li Xiuqi said, “Brother Cao, come in.”  

Chuckling, Cao Manjin entered the room with a pot of wine. Li Xiuqi furrowed his brows a shade. After Cao Manjin took a seat, a deep sigh escaped his lips, a grunt following suit. He poured some wine.

Li Xiuqi said, “It’s late into the night. Our meals have already been digested, so drinking wine now will be adverse for our health. Brother Cao had better drink tomorrow.”   

“I’m not drinking for myself. I just find it unfair for you.”  

Li Xiuqi fell silent.

“Who in the estate doesn’t know that His Highness was preparing the position of adjutant for you, Brother Li? But now, His Highness has given the position to someone from the inner courtyard. We can’t say that His Highness is making a mistake, but…”  

Frowning, Li Xiyuqi said, “Brother Cao should mind your words. Don’t mention that this position was prepared for me anymore. From the start, we are His Highness’ aides and advisors. Naturally, it is our duty to strategize for His Highness. If we only care about things like official positions, then what use is keeping us here for His Highness?”  

“Brother Li, don’t be riled up, don’t be riled up. Drink, drink,” said Cao Manjin, not at all bothered.  

Discontent, Li Xiuqi looked at him. However, he no longer refused the wine and drank a cup.

After Li Chen left for morning court, Qi Yunruo managed the accounts in the small study of the western side room. He watched as his figure shrank into the distance. Lowered his head, disappointed. It seemed reality proved different than what he had imagined life would be like after returning to the estate. On the day Qi Niqun had left Ink Lotus Courtyard, Qi Yunruo felt somewhat uncomfortable in his heart. His Highness did not stop him from moving out of Ink Lotus Courtyard’s main wing.

At that moment, a young servant girl rushed in and said, “Sir Qi, Her Highness has invited you over.”  

Qi Yunruo grunted his in acknowledgement, looking at the servant girl.  

“It’s about the reconstruction of Her Highness’ personal storeroom. May your honored self come discuss it with her.” The young servant girl bowed.  

“Alright,” said Qi Yunruo, nodding. He led Lulan and Yu Zhi to the inner courtyard, following along the lake.  

Qi Yunruo returned to the inner courtyard with a new identity. His frame of mind was also different from that of the past. On his way there, he encountered a group of eunuchs passing by. The eunuch leading the group stopped in his tracks. He saluted and said, “Greetings to Sir Qi.”    

Qi Yunruo looked at him. Thought for a moment. “You are Eunuch Qian?”  

“Yes, it is this slave.” Once Eunuch Qian had stood up straight, his face carrying a smile. “Word has it that Sir assumed office as the adjutant of the estate, so this slave immediately wanted to approach your honored self and kowtow. This slave will make things clear: this slave manages this place. In the future, your honored self will find it more convenient supervising this place.”  

Still looking at him, Qi Yunruo said, “Eunuch Qian can discuss these matters once Lakeside View House has finished construction. Presently, things are complicated. Eunuch Qian should expend more effort.” 

“This slave thanks Sir.” Eunuch Qian saluted once more, a smile on his face.  

Qi Yunruo made his way to the front of Winter Plum Courtyard. Granny Cheng had personally come to receive him. Also present, Granny Song said, “The rest of the concubines have already arrived.”