Chapter 26- Lost

Nightfall.

Under the yellow glow of the candlelight, Qi Yunruo read one of Li Chen’s military books, a cloak draped over his shoulders. While he could technically read it, understanding the text was a different story. Li Chen was not present at their tent, the soldiers busy with training today. Qi Yunruo wrapped the cloak tighter around his body, a slight chill settling upon him. Li Chen’s tent could not be considered large for he was only a Commander of a Hundred. However, because he was part of the leading general’s personal guards, the treatment he received was better than most.

Qi Yunruo wanted to wash himself in the river. Although the camp was situated near it, the weather was too frigid to actually bathe there. After a moment of consideration, he made for the river, a large basin in his hands. His body swayed as he carried it back to the tent. His next trek was to the kitchen area. After carrying a bucket of hot water back, he poured it into the large basin of cold water. The moment he removed his clothes, goosebumps sprang from his skin.

He scrubbed himself with a wet towel. Put on his inner garment. He draped the cloak over himself again.

After Li Chen finished training, he returned to the tent, to the surprise of Qi Yunruo.

“I’ll help you fetch some water,” Qi Yunruo said.   

“It’s fine. I’ll get it myself. You shouldn’t go outside when it’s so cold.” However, the guards staying in the nearby tents naturally would not allow Li Chen fetch water himself. As Li Chen carried the basin of water Qi Yunruo had used earlier outside, two people rushed over to receive it.

Li Chen didn’t spend much time cleaning himself nor did he pay much attention doing it. Shortly after, the two lay down on the bedding. “Is your honored self hungry?” asked Qi Yunruo. “I saw that your honored self did not eat much during dinner.”

Li Chen shook his head.

The closer they got to the border, the heavier his heart felt. Such a feeling was akin to homesickness, yet also anger and resentment. He closed his eyes, exhaustion seeping into his bones.  

A soft sigh escaped Qi Yunruo’s lips. He placed a hand on Li Chen’s chest, where his heart lay beneath. “Your Highness, I can tell that your thoughts are bothering you. Although I can’t help much, if you’re willing, you can talk to me.”  

Li Chen said, “Have you ever heard of Princess Changping?”  

Qi Yunruo hesitated, then shook his head.

“…She is my eldest sister. We were raised together.”   

“So the empress dowager raised both the princess and your honored self?” Qi Yunruo knew that Li Chen had grown up in the Palace of Merciful Peace.

“When eldest sister was sixteen years old, she was given to Agu Er Mu as a… concubine.” Li Chen’s voice was calm, despite the words coming out of his mouth. “Eldest sister had a very noble birth. She deserved the best man under the heavens. But for the sake of Imperial Father and the country, she accepted a political marriage far in the north.

“She has stayed at those barbarians’ land for seven years. The year she had left the Great State of Kang, the country of Xinyuan caused trouble at the border. Like wolves, the Qiang people watched and waited for an opportunity. Imperial Father had been desperate. His trusted generals were not skilled enough. Agu Er Mu wanted cotton and silk, medicine, and women. Originally, Imperial Father had wanted to adopt a daughter of one of the high-ranking officials for the political marriage. But eldest sister said she was the Princess Royale of the Great State of Kang. The civilians had supported and waited on her until now. Now that the country was in peril, she should naturally be the one sacrificing herself. She said if an official’s daughter was married off instead, she could not enjoy and take for granted the luxuries granted to her.”