Chapter 57.1- A Cup of Melancholy

Li Chen returned to his estate to self reflect. Temporarily, his trusted aides and the officials of his faction kept silent out of fear.

Qi Yunruo just happened to hear that Ji Huan was returning to the capital. Li Chen said to him, “Originally, I wanted to invite Ji Hansong and his whole family to the estate to socialize. But now, I’m afraid it’d be inconvenient. Little Qi, make a trip there with a gift representing me.”

Pointing to himself, Qi Yunruo asked, “Me?”

A book in hand, Li Chen stood. Tapped it on Qi Yunruo’s head with a smile. “What? Does Sir Adjutant have a problem?”

Since Li Chen had asked that, Qi Yunruo grunted in acknowledgment. “Then, Your Highness, I will check the storeroom to see if there’s anything suitable as a gift. After that, I’ll write an arrival notice.”  

Li Chen nodded and sat back down. He noticed the excitement in Qi Yunruo’s eyes, and pointed to his cabinet. “There are four different colors of letter paper on the second shelf. And all kinds of fine writing paper and blank books.”  

Nodding, Qi Yunruo left the room to find Su Ge and have him open the storeroom. The moment he had one foot out the door, he suddenly asked, “What does Big Brother Ji like?”   

Without even thinking about it, Li Chen said, “Things like brushes, ink, paper, and ink stones.”  

Qi Yunruo blinked and left.  

All of a sudden, upset enveloped Li Chen. Qi Yunruo’s footsteps grew softer and softer. Upon Prince Chun’s face was a rare and unnatural awkwardness. He rose to his feet, wanting to find Little Qi. However, Little Qi’s reaction had been too normal prior. Li Chen himself didn’t know what to say. But to just sit there and not do anything also made him uneasy.  

In the storeroom, Qi Yunruo found a four-sided antique ink slab. It was unadorned, with a simple atmosphere. One look, and Qi Yunruo felt Brother Ji would like it. Then he found a small box of imitation Clear Heart Hall paper. Finally, upon Su Ge’s reminder, he remembered to prepare gifts for the Ji estate’s master and mistress. Frowning, Qi Yunruo walked around and said with impatience, “Just find some jugs of good wine and fine bolts of embroidered cloth. That should be good enough.”    

A smile on his lips, Su Ge had people search for those items.  

Qi Yunruo carried two boxes out of the storeroom. Told the maidservants to place the gifts inside. Then he returned to the study to research how to write arrival notices.

All of a sudden, a little critter bumped into the door and entered the room, eyes gleaming.  

Qi Yunruo smiled. “Jing’er.”

A grin on his face, Jing’er ran over to him. He threw himself at Qi Yunruo’s chest, and Qi Yunruo lifted him to his lap. Jing’er asked, “Are you going to Grandfather Ji’s home?”  

He nodded.

“When Father wasn’t around, Grandfather Ji came to visit Mother,” said Jing’er. “I heard them say I have an uncle.”  

Jing’er had addressed Qi Suxiao as just grandfather, but added Ji Hansong’s surname when addressing him as grandfather. Smiling, Qi Yunruo said, “Did you not know about this uncle of yours before?”  

Jing’er’s gaze held a trace of craftiness. He said in a soft voice, “I heard Grandmother Ji say that Grandfather Ji either scolds or beats the two uncles. And she said that what these uncles like to do most is drink flower wine… Uncle Little Qi, what is flower wine? Is that wine that’s made by fermenting flowers?”