Chapter 53.2

At that moment, rain fell from the skies. Qi Yunruo set down his brush. Opened the windows. The fresh and clean scent of spring vegetation mixed with the earth drifted over. He checked the time. All of a sudden, he recalled that it was almost time for the prince to return form morning court. Recently, the prince had ridden a horse out.    

Qi Yunruo draped an outer garment over his shoulders. Holding an umbrella, he rushed outside. Ran from the main path of the estate all the way to the open front gates. Then he stood at the side, waiting anxiously. 

Actually, it wasn’t just Qi Yunruo present. Su Ge had a few guards holding a waterproof cloak to receive the prince. He had also prepared a horse-drawn carriage with clean clothes to pick up the prince, traveling on the same path the prince was traversing. So that the prince could choose whether to get on the carriage or ride his horse home. Just when Qi Yunruo was about to climb into the carriage to pick up Li Chen, he heard someone say, “His Highness has returned.”  

When the rain had started to fall, Li Chen was already very close to the estate. As he was starting to get wet, Qi Yunruo rushed outside the main gates, lifting the umbrella high so that the prince could run under the cover. But before that could happen, Li Chen was now soaked.  

He said, “Go back.”  

Qi Yunruo helped drape the waterproof cloak over Li Chen. He no longer had to stand on his toes, and it was easy for him to tie ribbon by the collar. Li Chen recalled that last winter, Little Qi was very short. Recalled the appearance of him trying his best to put on the fox cloak for Li Chen.   

Still holding the umbrella, Qi Yunruo allowed Li Chen to lead the way. The rain gradually grew softer.  However, it still remained in a drizzle. It seemed it wouldn’t stop for a while.

Qi Yunruo walked with quick strides. Luxuan brought some lower-ranked maidservants over. They bowed. “Us maidservants have prepared ginger soup and hot water. May Your Highness wash up first and change into a fresh set of clothes.”  

“May you sisters hurry,” said Qi Yunruo. 

He helped Li Chen remove his wet clothes. Moved him into the hot water. Then Qi Yunruo hurried to bring over the ginger soup. Li Chen said, “No need to be so anxious. It’s not a big deal.”  

“It suddenly grew colder today. When rain falls on one’s body, it feels especially cold. If your honored self doesn’t feel well today, then take a leave of absence tomorrow.”  

Li Chen shook his head. Passed him the empty bowl to set down. “It’s not as serious as you’ve said. I don’t feel unwell at all.”

He rose to his feet, preparing to wipe his body dry. Qi Yunruo carried a set of clean clothes to him. He picked up a towel and helped dry Li Chen’s hair. As he did, thoughts of Qi Niqun entered his mind, and he grew distracted for a moment. He watched as the prince finished putting on his inner garment, then picked up a new towel to once again help Li Chen dry his hair.  

However, Li Chen sensed his moment of stiffness.  

He recalled that just recently at the front doors of the estate, Qi Yunruo had waited anxiously as he lifted an umbrella. The wind had blown his hair into disarray. Li Chen had gazed at him from afar, standing in the rain. For many days, Li Chen had felt anxious. He and Little Qi could only meet in the outer study. Little Qi did not deliberately avoid him. Perhaps they were both busy, but both parties did not purposely seek the other, did not purposely stay together. Which led to the current situation.   

“Little Qi.”  

“Mm?” Qi Yunruo’s hand stilled. He hadn’t stepped foot into this main chamber for many days.