Chapter 23- Ripple

As Qi Yunruo slipped on his robes, his ears caught the telltale sound of falling rain. Indeed, he confirmed this once he stepped foot outside. Lulan retrieved a large umbrella. "Today is chilly. Young Master should put on more clothes."

He calculated the date. "Today should be His Highness' day of break."

Lulan nodded. After they were fully dressed and prepared for the weather, they set out. As they did, Qi Yunruo turned his head toward the lake. Gazed at the ripples upon its surface that resembled lilies in bloom. He rubbed at his head, trying to soothe the slight headache. His mind seemed to clear after he took in the cold air around him.

Parked outside Winter Plum Courtyard were a few sedans. Lulan's expression darkened upon her noticing them. Yet Qi Yunruo's complexion did not change as he stepped through the gates, wet, puddle-esque footprints trailing him. Far away, he could make out the sound of laughter and chatter from the main chamber. Once he was closer, he realized Li Chen was inside, sitting close to Qi Niqun.

Feet clad in slippers, he leaned against a chaise lounge. Surrounded by all his concubines, Li Chen seemed lazy and leisurely. Qi Yunruo was unaware of what they had been talking about before. He watched as Consort Ji covered her mouth with a handkerchief, laughing to the point where her eyes resembled crescents. On Qi Niqun's lips danced also a smile. All of a sudden, Qi Yunruo stopped in his tracks by the door. He felt awkward. He could not bring himself to walk in there and spoil the merry atmosphere.

His body was clearly present, but his heart had already run away.

"...Little Qi is here," said Li Chen when he caught sight of him, a smile on his lips.

While Li Chen was speaking, Qi Yunruo had lowered his head, not paying attention. He looked at his shoes that had been soaked by the rain and the wet corner of his robes. And he felt the sadness in his heart rush out, bent on swallowing him whole.

Lulan nudged him. She said softly, "His Highness and Her Highness have told your honored self to enter."

Qi Yunruo lifted his head. Walked inside. The moment after Li Chen had asked him to enter, the other people in the room stopped their chatter. The stool from yesterday had already been moved. Qi Niqun smiled as she said to Li Chen, "This concubine has yet to inform Your Highness that these past few days, this concubine has added a few new rules. Without rules, there will be no order. If the members of the harem are too indolent, it would not do well for outsiders to see. From now on, this concubine's Third Brother should pay respects in the morning."

For a moment, Li Chen stayed silent. Then he said, "Then let's go with what the princess consort has decided."

A smile graced Qi Niqun's lips. She gestured for Qi Yunruo to come closer. "Come sit with me. Liubai, bring a chair to my side."

"Yes."

Qi Yunruo went over to sit on the little stool. He pulled the ends of his robes down to cover his drenched feet. After a period of silence, Consort Ji smiled. "Previously, His Highness said Jing'er has become robust. He likes to eat everything, but cannot yet chew pork. This concubine has told the kitchens to stew meat until they are tender and scattered into pieces. To feed him a small bowl of it every time. Now he's excited for his meals, always waiting eagerly."

Consort Wei smiled. "Sons will be like their father. His Highness also likes to eat meat."

Consort Ji was surprised that Consort Wei would follow her topic of conversation. Once more did a smile blossom on her lips. "Younger Sister Consort Wei has said it correctly. The more this concubine looks at Jing'er, the more he takes after His Highness."

Currently, Li Jing was Li Chen's only son. Two years ago, he had been sickly, but last year he started to grow healthier, with a hearty appetite. Now, he was as active as the other children his age.